Roswila's Dream & Poetry Realm

SEE ALSO: TRYING TO HOLD A BOX OF LIGHT (photos, realistic to abstract)

Sunday, July 20, 2008

A DREAM BASED HAIBUN: Response to One Single Impression Prompt of 7/19/08



THE HOOK UP
(a dream haibun)

I have cut my hair severely short and bleached it white blonde. I'm wearing bright red lip stick, high heels, a tight skirt, and a black and white striped blouse.

the handsome young man
clearly likes how I look
we hook up


Enjoying feeling so magnetic, I nevertheless explain that I completely change my look every few days. He is not deterred.

too good to be true
I worry my next overhaul
will turn him off


He takes me to a large dark and private back room of a classy restaurant. We have it to ourselves. We inch toward each other in the booth.

what we do here
stays here he says
I cry on his shoulder


* * * * * * * *

The prompt for this week at ONE SINGLE IMPRESSION is “Rest.” The dream on which the above haibun is based is in large part about the yearning to come to rest with certain fears. So much so, that at the end I cry with relief, though that was a surprise within the dream and is probably also to any reader of this haibun. Given the set-up one would – as I did during the dream – expect a more specifically, um, shall I say, romantic ending. :-)

Please visit ONE SINGLE IMPRESSION to see how others’ writing comes to rest after this week’s prompting.

[Image: a eucalyptus leaf that I cropped in the Paint program; from a gardening site]

* * * *

‘til next time, keep dreaming,





**** [aka: Patricia Kelly] **** If you wish to copy or use any of my writing or poems, please email me for permission (under “View my complete profile”)****My other blogs: ROSWILA’S TAROT GALLERY & JOURNAL and ROSWILA’S TAIGA TAROT, and Yahoo DREAMJIN: Group for Dreamku – Haiku-Like Dream Poems ****

Labels: , ,

24 Comments:

At 5:27 AM , Blogger spacedlaw said...

Strange story, but dreams are like this, demanding no reasons, receiving none.

 
At 10:32 AM , Blogger SandyCarlson said...

Wow. Talk about being vulnerable--and struggling with being vulnerable! Whoo.

 
At 10:46 AM , Blogger Raven said...

It carries the feel of a dream - and I love the ending.

 
At 11:45 AM , Blogger Raven's Wing Poetry said...

Who needs reason and logic in the face of beauty?

I like the way you constructed this.

-Nicole

 
At 12:17 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love this! The word images are wonderful, and the slow build to the surpprise of crying on his shoulder at the end (rather than the expected intimacy)is brilliant. Well dreamt and well written!

 
At 1:34 PM , Blogger me ann my camera said...

With the relief at recognition or acceptance; does the need to change continue or is the acceptance, of change?

 
At 1:43 PM , Blogger Barb said...

Oh, how many girls self-worth is based upon the evaluation of a young man! Profound dreaming!

 
At 2:29 PM , Blogger Geraldine said...

What an interesting dream! It's amazing what our mind can put together, from the fragments of everyday thoughts.

Thanks so much for visiting MPP!

www.mypoeticpath.wordpress.com

 
At 2:38 PM , Blogger Roswila said...

Hi me ann my camera,

Good question! And it is exactly what I've been watching since I had that dream. Was there something healed by the dream, or maybe some healing represented by the dream? Or was the dream "simply" pointing out the need for *self*-acceptance at a profound level? When wounds run deep, external approvals are barely small echoing drops in a chasm, unfortunately.

 
At 4:49 PM , Blogger Edward S Gault said...

I liked the way you mixed the genres poetry-excellent.
Thank you for sharing.

 
At 7:20 PM , Blogger Roswila said...

Hi Edward,

Glad you enjoy the mixing of genres, which is, BTW, what a haibun is: a prose paragraph capped by a haiku, or sometimes a series of same. :-)

 
At 8:23 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

..i cannot imagine a more romantic ending..thank u for a beautiful poem..

 
At 1:29 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's really wonderful. The last line turned my interpretation of everything before it upside down.

 
At 3:13 AM , Blogger indicaspecies said...

That's so interesting!

 
At 8:24 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Strange romantic dream. I'm glad you captured it with this lovely poem.

ps, I got the url for your mandala but couldn't get in. Darn it.

 
At 10:36 AM , Blogger Tumblewords: said...

Amazing how dreams sometimes imitate life! Nicely done...

 
At 12:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a really great dream, but not too restful. I wish it had gone on longer! Very nice.

 
At 4:28 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your poem is so poignant, and I enjoyed it very much. The picture is interesting. Before I read what it was I thought it was a smooth stone. Nice!

 
At 8:09 PM , Blogger Roswila said...

Hi April,

Glad you liked the photo. I had a hard time finding an image to go with this haibun. But I ultimately went with what I've read about images used in haiga: that they frequently are only very indirectly connected to or only vaguely suggestive of the haiku coming at the moment from a very different angle, or maybe only picking up on one small aspect of the accompanying writing.

 
At 6:04 AM , Blogger Quiet Paths said...

Intriguing and honest - dreams are like that.

 
At 8:26 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is so beautiful. I will keep this one with me for weeks.
Thank you.

I didn't wake up in time for the prompt this week, forgot to set the alarm.

 
At 8:47 PM , Blogger Roswila said...

Hi Karen Crone,

Hope you make it in time for our next prompt, an intriguing one "face." :-)

I draft my OSI response ahead of time and still sometimes realize Sunday's about over, and a bunch of people have already posted, then I have to rush to post and visit everybody else's. Though I have noticed people post days into a week, as well. I guess what works for each of us is best.

 
At 10:48 AM , Blogger Lisa at Greenbow said...

Very interesting. It would be evn more interesitng to hear the rest of the story.

 
At 12:02 PM , Blogger Roswila said...

Hi Lisa,

Yes, I'd like to know the rest of the story myself. Where the haibun ends is where the dream ended. :-) (Actually, that the dream ended as it did gave me the biggest "clue" to what it was "telling" me, by emphasizing the crying.)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home