Roswila's Dream & Poetry Realm

SEE ALSO: TRYING TO HOLD A BOX OF LIGHT (photos, realistic to abstract)

Friday, June 27, 2008

THE GLASS SCREEN & APHRODITE: Poems by Virginia Wells



THE GLASS SCREEN

At our meeting
I met a woman
I've been on e-mail with.
I was open and liked her
On e-mail.
But in person, in the rounded out
Version, negativity flowed freely
That hadn't come through the glass screen.

In a book, I read about
The safety that the
Glass television screen
Provides
Separating us from the violence
Showing there.

In the class I learned
It takes special effort
To transfer feelings to matter.
The written word glasses over also.

In my dream
My glass patio door
Was blowing in
Buckling at the place of joining,
Where the protection
From the elements
Takes place.

[see P.S. at bottom of this post about this poem]


* * * *


APHRODITE

There is a shadow under the water
Under the green, clear water
Under the white shards of light,
The dancing, multiplying, disappearing shards.

Patterns move over the surface
But underneath, the dark shadow remains.
It stretches like a sleeping woman
Suspended somewhere between the surface
And the sloping sand below.

Silent, crossed
By sparkling sun-shadows of the trees
In watery light
She sleeps.


* * * * * * * * * * * *

In a previous post I shared two poems by Ginny and promised more of her wonderful work. (There will be additional poems posted here from her chapbooks in the future, as well.) If you are interested in obtaining a free copy of any of Ginny's chapbooks, just email me and I will pass the word along to her. The first poem above is from her chapbook entitled CREATION CONTINUES and the second is from CHANGING LANDSCAPES.

P.S. The day after I posted these two poems here, I received an email from a long-time New York city friend and fellow poet, Jay Filan. In it was a wonderful poem he wrote in direct response to THE GLASS SCREEN. With his permission, and Ginny's and my delight, I share it here:

RESPONSE TO THE GLASS SCREEN

at our leaving
I felt alone
a kiss behind the cracked glass
I was open
and much like her

but in hindsight
in the rounded view
but in regret
compassion lacked

in the books I’ve read
in the safety net
that dreams provide
I was separate
I stood myself

I have studied
and bent my elbows
and split my
soul

the words matter
the ice melts
over.

[All poems used by permission of the authors; image above is from a long defunct graphics web site]

* * * *

‘til next time, keep dreaming,





**** [aka: Patricia Kelly] **** If you wish to copy or use any of my writing or poems, please email me for permission (under “View my complete profile”)****My other blogs: ROSWILA’S TAROT GALLERY & JOURNAL and ROSWILA’S TAIGA TAROT, and Yahoo DREAMJIN: Group for Dreamku – Haiku-Like Dream Poems ****

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home