Roswila's Dream & Poetry Realm

SEE ALSO: TRYING TO HOLD A BOX OF LIGHT (photos, realistic to abstract)

Sunday, June 15, 2008

HAIKU, and a Father's Day poem: Response to One Single Impression Prompt of 6-15-08



lazy afternoon sunlight crosses the living room

* * * *

an iridescent sequin
on the stair landing
she passed this way

* * * *

we stand in silence
the large cactus with white
feather duster blooms

* * * *

the rocking chair and a crow’s fading caw rest stop


The prompt at ONE SINGLE IMPRESSION this week is “transience or permanence.” The four haiku of mine above all reflect the former, and my sense that – as one meaning for the Two of Disks in The Tarot says – the only stability is change. (Please visit ONE SINGLE IMPRESSION to check out others' always intriguing responses to this prompt.)

As this is Father's Day, I also wanted to share a very old dream-based poem of mine about my father. In terms of today's theme of "transience," what is more transient than a night dream? The particular dream this poem comes from was the beginning of the healing of my internal relationship with my father some time after he died, and I am grateful to be able to offer it here in loving memory of him:

THE DREAM

She swirls with her father
above a winter sea.
A welcome absence rests between them.
His smile sad and open to the starlight.
His ghostly fingers barely brush
her back, her hands, as they glide
together through the silence.
Following her lead at last,
he asks no more of her than this,
this one sweet dance,
this accident
of grace.

* * * *

[The above cactus image is from a home and garden site for which I’ve long since lost the information. It is not the exact cactus referenced in the above haiku, but very much like it.]

* * * *

‘til next time, keep dreaming,





**** [aka: Patricia Kelly] **** If you wish to copy or use any of my writing or poems, please email me for permission (under “View my complete profile”)****My other blogs: ROSWILA’S TAROT GALLERY & JOURNAL and ROSWILA’S TAIGA TAROT, and Yahoo DREAMJIN: Group for Dreamku – Haiku-Like Dream Poems ****

Labels: , ,

15 Comments:

At 1:26 PM , Blogger Raven said...

These are all lovely. The second haiku is my favorite, but the poem about your father is exquisite. I'm so glad that you shared it.

 
At 7:13 PM , Blogger SandyCarlson said...

That sequin makes me stop. I think of the many times I have come across some trace of the past and wondered about who passed before, how close we came....How those passing moments move through my memory.

 
At 12:05 AM , Blogger spacedlaw said...

I love the sequin one, it is so evocative.

 
At 3:47 AM , Blogger me ann my camera said...

"the rocking chair and a crow’s fading caw rest stop"... these two such very familar identifiable images impress upon me memories of generations; there always having been a rocking chair full of age and aged.

 
At 6:57 AM , Blogger qualcosa di bello said...

your imagery leave me as content as a quiet summer moment in my porch rocker!

 
At 7:35 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

A lovely tribute and beautiful poems. The father one is so lovely and sweet.

 
At 12:25 PM , Blogger Barb said...

How lovely! The sequin reminds me of a New Years Eve so long ago. My mother was all dressed up in her white sequined dress for a party. She floated into the living room and twirled for my father. The sequins reflected the glow from the fireplace. She looked like a beautiful Barbie Doll that night. It was the first time I dreamed of growing up to be a woman and all the many possibilities of life before me.

 
At 1:41 PM , Blogger Roswila said...

Hi All,

It's always intriguing to me to see which poems really strike people. For instance, the sequin one in this post. It was not one I'd have figured to be well-responded to. (Not sure why I felt that, I just did.) A friend who's on another writing list I belong to and I were commiserating with each other once. We agreed that those poems we'd post that we thought were really "cool," almost always went down with a resounding thud. And those we'd not think much about posting would often garner lots of interest. Go figure! Guess we really aren't our own best critiquers/appreciators. :-)

 
At 2:40 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

The poem for your father was moving, I am glad you posted it.

I can feel the enjoyment in the first line, but the sequin poem is very intriguing.

 
At 3:52 PM , Blogger Pearl said...

well done. feather dusty blossom and sequin fall especially.

 
At 7:56 PM , Blogger gautami tripathy said...

The sequin haiku is very good. And Thanks for sharing that poem about your father. A great one..

yearning

 
At 10:16 AM , Blogger Tumblewords: said...

These are all lovely - reach different places within and without but parlay those places into winning words!

 
At 12:13 PM , Blogger Judy Brutz said...

The photo of thecactus intrigues me. I too am drawn to the sequin haiku. You dream poem for your father is healing and close to the heart.

 
At 3:49 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

A rich tribute -evocative- lovely..thanks

 
At 3:26 AM , Blogger DeLi said...

that pure white flower are so lovely..and so complementing of teh memory lane trip

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home