Roswila's Dream & Poetry Realm

SEE ALSO: TRYING TO HOLD A BOX OF LIGHT (photos, realistic to abstract)

Thursday, April 10, 2008

JIM--LAST SPRING & BEGINNINGS: Poems by Virginia Wells



JIM -- LAST SPRING

All the time I worked on the computer,
He was sorting the mail.
someone to joke with or ask for help --
A man/boy with dark brooding look
Who carried himself lightly
Yet seemed grounded in grief.

One day we went to town
To take the uncollected mail.
We snitched time for the ice cream, too.

He told me he had been in Vietnam,
That he lived alone in the hills
On the other side of the river
In a small house with a bit of land,
And that he raised chickens.

I raised chickens once,
Carefully fattening them in their cages
To make prime eating and fetch a good price --
He said he did it to give away the eggs.
People seemed to like having something given to them.

This spring, I heard, he died.
They said his heart failed him.


* * * * * * * *


BEGINNINGS

Sitting all day long
On your second-floor balcony
We watch the magnolias unfold.
It takes hours,
But we are patient.
The sun is warm.
It is your birthday.


* * * *

Virginia ("Ginny") is a new friend I am having the delight of getting to know, here in my new home in California. It's been a wonderful journey of discovery to read her poetry, that ranges from the metaphysical through to the personal. Her love of nature shines particularly in the collection the above two poems are from: "Changing Landscapes." If you would be interested in obtaining a copy of this chapbook (or any of her others), just email me at maryschild44@yahoo.com and Ginny or I will email you all the information. I'll be posting more of her poems here in the future.

[Poems used by permission; image above: public domain.]

* * * *

‘til next time, keep dreaming,

Roswila

[aka: Patricia Kelly]

****If you wish to copy or use any of my writing or poems, please email me for permission (under “View my complete profile”)****My other blogs ROSWILA’S TAROT GALLERY & JOURNAL and ROSWILA’S TAIGA TAROT, and Yahoo DREAMJIN: Group for Dreamku – Haiku-Like Dream Poems.

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 3:36 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved the poems and would be interested in a book. What is the price? -VCW

 
At 8:00 PM , Blogger Roswila said...

I'll be delighted to email Ginny with your interest, and one of us will get back to you soonest.

I am sure she will be as surprised and happy at your interest as I am. Doesn't that second one have a "haiku" feel to it?

 
At 4:21 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes it does. It could be made into a tanka easily.


on your balcony
we watch the magnolias unfold
sitting all day long
we are patient for hours
this warm day is your birthday

She might not appreciate that edit. Don't tell her, unless you think that she would.

-VCW

 
At 7:44 PM , Blogger Roswila said...

LOL! Ginny visits my site, so she may see it. And I think she might enjoy that you liked her work enough to try setting it in another form. I know I'd feel that way. IMHO? I do prefer hers. It's more, well, just here, just now. :-)

 
At 7:16 PM , Blogger VCW said...

I really agree with you. The original is better, but it was so easy to make into a tanka. Sometimes I wish I could reshape my own work that easy. I received her chapbook and have enjoyed it very much. Thanks to both of you.

-VCW

 
At 10:24 PM , Blogger Roswila said...

You're most welcome, vcw!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home