Roswila's Dream & Poetry Realm

SEE ALSO: TRYING TO HOLD A BOX OF LIGHT (photos, realistic to abstract)

Thursday, September 06, 2007

A POEM BY LAO-TZU



We join spokes together in a wheel
But it is the center hole
That makes the wagon move.

We shape clay into a pot
But it is the emptiness inside
That holds whatever we want.

We hammer wood for a house
But it is the inner space
That makes it livable.

We work with being,
But non-being is what we use.



by Lao-Tzu,
creator of the Tao Te Ching,
4th or 6th century B.C.


I live in New York City. There’s a terrific arts program, Poetry in Public Places, that displays the occasional wonderful poem in subway car commercial ad space. When I was still commuting to work I’d find myself scrabbling madly through my purse for a pen and paper so I could take down a poem I would not want to forget about. Fortunately, I take shorthand as many times I’d have only noticed the poem one station before my stop. :-) Yes, I could have just noted the author and poem name, but somehow I always wanted to capture the poem entire. This one above by Lao-Tzu (see "Resource" below) appeared in June of 1999. I have not been in the subways in almost two years and hope this program still exists (could not find out anything on a basic google).

[Image is from fotosearch.com]

* * * *

Resource: about Lao Tzu.

‘til next time, keep dreaming,

Roswila

[aka: Patricia Kelly]

****If you wish to copy or use any of my writing or poems, please email me for permission (under “View my complete profile”)****My other blogs ROSWILA’S TAROT GALLERY & JOURNAL and ROSWILA’S TAIGA TAROT.

2 Comments:

At 9:26 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is terrific. If the western commentators I've read wanted me to understand "non-being" as they claim to, why didn't they ever start with this? This I can grasp.

Or not 'grasp' really, since it's non-being .... You know what I mean :-)

oino

 
At 9:31 PM , Blogger Roswila said...

Oh, definitely "grasp" it, as in our empty brains. LOL!

Yes, isn't this an amazing way to approach the idea of emptiness/non-being? It stunned me 8 years ago when I spotted it on the subway. And did again when I found it in my files. When I read it, it put me in mind of haiku and leaving things open ...leaving emptiness for the reader to use ... :-)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home