Roswila's Dream & Poetry Realm

SEE ALSO: TRYING TO HOLD A BOX OF LIGHT (photos, realistic to abstract)

Sunday, September 02, 2007

HAIKU: Response to One Deep Breath Prompt of 9-3-07



my cat teaches
our tiny new housemate
I, proud grandmother


The prompt for this week at One Deep Breath is "grandparents." You can visit during the week to enjoy others' reponses to this prompt. (On reading the first several responses posted, I was very touched. They are references to real grandparents. Forgive this old -- nearing 64 --writer her quirks. I went with my immediate association to the prompt, which did take me a bit far afield, I'm afraid.)

I had a dream last night that gave me some important insights that was couched in cat imagery. On reading this prompt I was therefore predisposed to recall an incident that made me both laugh and kvell (yiddish for beam with pride). I had carefully taught (yes, they can be taught ... sometimes :-D) a cat named Solace not to play with the items on our coffeetable. When we got a new kitten, who I swear was no bigger than a cigarette package, Solace took him "under her wing." I watched one time as she taught Dreyfuss not to touch those coffeetable items. Each time Dreyfuss would reach for one of them, she'd very lightly, barely touching him, box his ears! LOL! He finally got the message. I felt just like a proud grandparent. I must admit I always had to dust plenty of cat hair off that table. But as long as they didn't knock them off and play hockey with them when we weren't around, I was purrrrr-fectly content.

[The above image is The Ten of Pentacles in The Tarot of the Cat People.]

* * * *

‘til next time, keep dreaming,

Roswila

[aka: Patricia Kelly]

****If you wish to copy or use any of my writing or poems, please email me for permission (under "View my complete profile")****My other blogs ROSWILA’S TAROT GALLERY & JOURNAL and ROSWILA’S TAIGA TAROT.

Labels: ,

12 Comments:

At 10:04 PM , Blogger Tumblewords: said...

Tarot cards have always (I think I mentioned this earlier) fascinated me - they are exotic and dream producing. Your grandparent experience is full of humor and wisdom but I worry that you consider yourself 'older' when I'm more so. Grin.

 
At 10:59 PM , Blogger spacedlaw said...

I wished ours would do that!
:)
Kittens are just too much fun.

 
At 11:49 PM , Blogger Jo said...

What a wonderful story. I really enjoyed your take, well done!

 
At 12:35 AM , Blogger Crafty Green Poet said...

what a lovely story! I can just see the two cats! Lovely picture too.

 
At 6:44 AM , Blogger Regina said...

Oh, I think it's a lovely haiku, Roswila! What a good mother Solace is to her new little charge- and of course, you should be proud as the grammy!

 
At 8:50 AM , Blogger Roswila said...

Oh, tumblewords, that "old" refers to body only. In spirit, I can't seem to grow up! LOL! What's that T-shirt saying I saw somewhere? That growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional? Yesssss

 
At 8:08 PM , Blogger Clare said...

Hi Roswila! I love that you are a cat grandparent! That's so cool that your cat is now teaching the kitten. Our dog Moose has been 'training' his puppy friend who comes over to visit -- it's hysterical. Wonderful haiku and story!
:)

 
At 9:24 AM , Blogger get zapped said...

What a lucky kitty ;)

 
At 9:39 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What interesting images! A great bend on the prompt this week. Re your last comment about growing up: I have seen printed on a T-shirt: "Aged to perfection." I like that although I am not that "old". *grin*

 
At 6:32 AM , Blogger Patois42 said...

A superb take on the prompt. I love your background on it.

 
At 9:12 AM , Blogger Roswila said...

I'm so glad no one seems to think I was trying to be overly clever with my way off on a tangent response to the prompt. Especially given how beautiful and touching everyone else's responses were about their actual grandparents. :-) In fact, others' responses made me see I'd missed a chance to share about my own beloved Grandmother Hill and one of the fabulous old photos I have. (I have done so a little bit here before, but quite some time ago.)

 
At 4:04 PM , Blogger megan said...

had fun reading this...animals (even cats!) are kindred souls and you ARE the grandmother...an honor, indeed!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home