Roswila's Dream & Poetry Realm

SEE ALSO: TRYING TO HOLD A BOX OF LIGHT (photos, realistic to abstract)

Saturday, August 11, 2007

FERAL (A Poem) and New Journal Cover Collage, by Patricia Kelly

[try clicking on image for larger version]



FERAL

it explodes
a feral cat stepped
on in the dark

landing it radiates
terror in stunned
stillness

then turns tail
trailing churned dirt
and dust

some things gone wild
are better left
unouted

* * * *

Yeah, both poem -- written 7/07 -- and collage are very dark in mood. Pretty much how I've been feeling for some time now. It'll pass, if my previous decades of experience with moodiness are proof of anything in this life. And the dark has its place in our lives...e.g., where else can the feral things live safely for both themselves and us? I also think it is significant that I chose (without consciously thinking about it) a red covered journal this time. Under/mixed in with a lot of dark moods there is often anger. And, in a more positive vein, energy and passion.

I just finished this collage on the cover of my newest general daily journal book. I recently bought a batch of "single topic" spiral notebooks very cheaply, so I've had to start new journals much more quickly than usual. I usually buy notebooks with 4 or 5 topic capacity (i.e, lots more pages) but could not resist that sale on the singletons! Besides, it gives me an excuse to do collages more frequently. :-) And the words in that little white circle in the upper left? "If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." That button in the middle bottom says "Panic." BTW, some of you may recognize many of the images in this collage. They're from the Lord of the Rings movies.

I've been meaning to address something about my style of collaging. Until fairly recently I tried to make my hand-cut and pasted collages appear mostly seamless. Cutting away anything that would distinguish images as having come from "elsewhere" and carefully arranging them with "seamlessness" in mind. But it occurred to me as I was trimming an image that leaving a border around it of its original background would make it "pop" a bit from the foreground of the collage I was working on. And I became aware that "seams" and obvious borders can be used artistically just like anything else. So I have now added leaving seams or using borders around an image to the ways I work with images in a collage. E.g., you can see borders at the bottom of the above collage around the horses and dragons. And most of the images in this collage are "seamed." This disjointedness seems to fit the mood. You can see the use of borders and seams clearly and I think more effectively on my previous journal collage cover.

* * * *

Resource: Bolts of Silk, ".... poetry with something to say."

‘til next time, keep dreaming,

Roswila

[aka: Patricia Kelly]

****If you wish to copy or use any of my writing or poems, please email me for permission (under “View my complete profile”)****My other blogs ROSWILA’S TAROT GALLERY & JOURNAL and ROSWILA’S TAIGA TAROT.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 6:52 AM , Blogger Crafty Green Poet said...

It's an interesting discussion - seamless collages or not? For me it entirely depends on context and the type of picture I'm working on. Thanks for the link to Bolts of Silk.

 
At 11:21 AM , Blogger Roswila said...

Yes. For years I just went with what I kept hearing in response to really great collagists' work: seamless, borderless images, etc., etc. I agree it really has more to do with the tone/mood of the collage. That the choice of any techinque ultimately has to be made in relationship to the art as a whole.

Odd thing is, I just started meditating on a collaged Tarot deck I've had for years but not used in quite that way in some time. I've always thought of the deck's collage art as exceptional, i.e. seamless. But as I was going through the deck more thoroughly than I had in some time, I noticed all sorts of seams (though no borders to speak of around images). And found it surprising! I think I have always been so bowled over by the overall impressions of the various cards that I just never even noticed the seams before. :-) Now that's effective use of technique!

You're welcome re: the link to Bolts of Silk. It's a blog really worth visiting.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home