Roswila's Dream & Poetry Realm

SEE ALSO: TRYING TO HOLD A BOX OF LIGHT (photos, realistic to abstract)

Sunday, August 26, 2007

ON THE FENCE (Poem by Patricia Kelly)



ON THE FENCE

So
here I hang at
the edge of another death

Never casual this consideration
of plummeting, of letting go
of the fence's edge

Yet with each death's
night excitement creeps in, raising
hairs along my spine 'til howls of glee
resound through my breast and bone
even to the moon


* * * *

This is a really old poem, written around 1980. I used to enjoy reading it at poetry readings. That first line leads to quite a different place than most listeners would anticipate. :-)

I've been on the fence, in a way, for a long time. But just recently took a few concrete steps toward manifesting my dream of moving out of New York City to a retirement community. Maybe upstate, maybe California, maybe who-knows-where, but the ball is finally rolling and I'm revving up for the leap to follow it.

[The image is from webshots.com, and is called "Alive With Color."]

* * * *

Resource: Annie Finch's poetry, wonderful pagan poet, be sure to check out the spiral of formal poems on the lower left of the homepage.

‘til next time, keep dreaming,

Roswila

[aka: Patricia Kelly]

****If you wish to copy or use any of my writing or poems, please email me for permission (under “View my complete profile”)****My other blogs ROSWILA’S TAROT GALLERY & JOURNAL and ROSWILA’S TAIGA TAROT.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 3:17 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Patricia, your poem is so appropriate to your decision to move. I hope you find a place you will thrive in.

 
At 7:57 PM , Blogger Roswila said...

I hadn't realized until reading your comment that the feeling of excitement I had after taking those steps is what brought this poem to mind! Thanks for visiting and even more for the comment and good wishes.:-)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home