Roswila's Dream & Poetry Realm

SEE ALSO: TRYING TO HOLD A BOX OF LIGHT (photos, realistic to abstract)

Tuesday, January 14, 2020

LASSOING THE MOON (photomorph) & TAKING DICTATION (free verse dream poem) by Roswila


TAKING DICTATION

why’m I taking down the lyrics (by hand, with a
pen!) for all these songs as they play? I had too many
years of taking dictation back in the day, when I had
no choice -- it was, after all, one of the few skills that
I could get paid for using -- but now? who’m I even
taking down the words of these admittedly delightful
songs for, anyway? I’m sure as hell not getting paid
to do it, and I can’t see myself doing it “just for the
fun of it;” hey, trailing the mash up of short hand
symbols and English abbreviations I’d developed
behind the spoken words of some impatient or
simply oblivious boss, was never my favorite way
to earn a living (give me straight-ahead typing
from a page: I was quite a typist in the day, still am,
relatively speaking) but here I am on the fourth in
a series of songs: the first three’d been classically
inclined, all neatly and accurately entered in my
small spiral bound dictation notebook, while this
fourth (and, somehow, I know to be the last I’ll
be setting down the words for on a page) is a
country western song, performed by the young,
dark-haired woman who wrote it: why’s it giving
me such trouble? I can barely keep up, losing
the tail end of almost every line of the lyrics, yet
it all seems to hold together in an odd way, as I
lasso as many of the words I’m able to when they
rear up from the rhythm and pitch; and I sense
it’s OK to remain silent, not to ask her to slow
down so that I may keep up: I’m relieved to
go on writing, capturing what words I can in
whatever amount and in whatever combination
of shorthand and abbreviations (looped or
slip knotted, tangled or languidly loose)
slip from my pen in my desire to do this last
song’s poetry at least a wee bit of justice


[free verse poem on a dream of 1-13-20. Photomorph “Lassoing the Moon” (6-28-09 2988v4c[2]) by Roswila]

PLEASE NOTE: in most browsers you can click on the above image for a larger version. Also, the photo accompanying a post is not necessarily meant to illustrate it, but to reflect some small, even slant or contrasting aspect of the verse, similar to Japanese haiga (illustrated haiku).

There are many other sorts of posts on this blog. I indicate which are about or influenced by dreams. Some non dream focused posts are book reviews, "regular" poems (some by other writers), scifaiku, writing exercises, Tarot haiku, photos, haiga, and so on. However, most of those are in much older posts. There's a listing by month going back to early 2006, at the end of the sidebar.

* * * *
until next time, keep dreaming,





[a/k/a Patricia Kelly]
**** If you wish to copy or use any of my writing or poems, please email me for permission (under “View my complete profile”). Roswila's other blog (dedicated to her photos only, i.e. no poetry or other writing; daily post); TRYING TO HOLD A BOX OF LIGHT.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home