Roswila's Dream & Poetry Realm

SEE ALSO: TRYING TO HOLD A BOX OF LIGHT (photos, realistic to abstract)

Friday, January 03, 2020

SEA CHANGE (photo) & SOON (free verse dream poem) by Roswila


SOON

maybe this scene leads up to those dangerously
large ocean waves the evening news warns
are coming: an agitated ocean, creating a series
of pools in the sand along its heavily frothy edge

and in one of the pools, a pair of my sneakers
lazily swirling, as if nonchalant about its certain
fate in the explosive curls of the soon to arrive
huge waves

I rouse from my own usual morning lethargy
to wonder if I have enough time – much less
energy and strength – to attempt to retrieve my
sneakers before the crash of massive waves,
as I don’t relish hobbling home barefoot

but I’d much rather stand here, feet sunk softly
in wet sand, a witness to my own mesmerization
by my footwear’s slow circling in the small pond

and then I notice: they have no laces! how ever
would they stay on my stiff, arthritic feet, if I
could retrieve them?

sigh … I turn away from the pool to look down
the beach toward where I live: better that I hassle
the painful way home barefoot

one last glance back at the small pool reveals
the sneakers are gone: sunk totally out of both sight
and reach to the bottom of the growing pool?

or sucked out to sea when my back was briefly
turned, the early edge of the huge waves washing
away what I can neither reclaim, no use if I could


[free verse poem on a dream of 1/1/20. BTW, there actually have been News warnings about huge waves along our CA coastline recently. Photo “Sea Change” (Screenshots 5, 10-21-19[49]) by Roswila]

PLEASE NOTE: in most browsers you can click on the above image for a larger version. Also, the photo accompanying a post is not necessarily meant to illustrate it, but to reflect some small, even slant or contrasting aspect of the verse, similar to Japanese haiga (illustrated haiku).

There are many other sorts of posts on this blog. I indicate which are about or influenced by dreams. Some non dream focused posts are book reviews, "regular" poems (some by other writers), scifaiku, writing exercises, Tarot haiku, photos, haiga, and so on. However, most of those are in much older posts. There's a listing by month going back to early 2006, at the end of the sidebar.

* * * *
until next time, keep dreaming,





[a/k/a Patricia Kelly]
**** If you wish to copy or use any of my writing or poems, please email me for permission (under “View my complete profile”). Roswila's other blog (dedicated to her photos only, i.e. no poetry or other writing; daily post); TRYING TO HOLD A BOX OF LIGHT.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home