Roswila's Dream & Poetry Realm

SEE ALSO: TRYING TO HOLD A BOX OF LIGHT (photos, realistic to abstract)

Monday, August 18, 2008

WOLVES IN THE NIGHT: A Dream Haibun by Patricia Kelly

Image from DailyMandala


WOLVES IN THE NIGHT: A Dream Haibun
(about dream of 8/17/08)

I'm being tracked by a wolf. I've nothing but my bare hands to fight him off.

large teeth clamp down
on my right hand
bloodless grip


In a furious ballet of free left hand and imprisoned but unhurt right, I fight the wolf to a standstill.

to block the wolf's breath
I blow in his large nostrils
he passes out


I resist the urge to strangle him and tie him up instead. Though as I do I imagine the satisfying crunch of throat bones beneath my palms.

the wolf's mate howls
as she lopes right up to me
distinct threat


I note her moonlit fur and smaller frame as I prepare to do battle again.

the female wolf
is fierce but quickly subdued
silence holds the night


* * * *

‘til next time, keep dreaming,





**** [aka: Patricia Kelly] **** If you wish to copy or use any of my writing or poems, please email me for permission (under “View my complete profile”)****My other blogs: ROSWILA’S TAROT GALLERY & JOURNAL and ROSWILA’S TAIGA TAROT, and Yahoo DREAMJIN: Group for Dreamku – Haiku-Like Dream Poems ****

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 8:15 PM , Blogger LGD said...

I'll be sure to start with your other hand, then. Yum... :-)

oino

 
At 9:24 PM , Blogger Roswila said...

LOL! I was trying to figure out the symbolism of "right" and "left" hand, actually, in this dream. That gets confusing, since the left side of our bodies are controlled by the right side of our brain and vice versa (am I remembering that correctly?). And there's right and left brain states of consciousness, left being linear and intellectual, and right being timeless and intuitive (all very generally put, of course).

So how do I relate to the obviously important symbolism of "left" and "right" here? Especially when it is very much a body dream, and not necessarily referencing states of consciousness.

I'm tempted to go with a very simple way of understanding this: I'm right handed. The "wolf" by "imprisoning" my right hand makes me do things in a different way, a way in which I do not feel skilled yet or have much experience in.

LOL! I just flashed on that expression "I can do that with one hand tied behind my back." This association leads me to wonder if the dream (at least at one level) is pointing out I feel more capable than I've yet to own up to.

Oh, lords and ladies, I'm having more associations (probably all TMI...), such as "right hand man," and "I want to hold your hand..." (that Beatles song). I'd better stop at these. However, this response gives you an idea of how I approach dreamwork...like everything else, all over the map, even dragging in the kitchen sink, too. :-D

 
At 7:55 AM , Blogger VCW said...

Hi Patricia,

Just a note to let you know that I stopped in. I love the wolf haibun, maybe because I love wolves. No ... it's also the way that there are so many possibilities. Your free associations are great. I bet you are having fun with this one.

Bye now,
-VCW

 
At 2:09 PM , Blogger Roswila said...

Hi vcw,

Glad you enjoyed this haibun and my nearly endless associations. LOL! Just remember, though, that those associations were only to one image within the entire dream. Then you may get an idea of how long my journal entries about my dreams can be. And why I so enjoy writing dreamku on them most of the time now, instead of journaling -- dreamku can be a much shorter and direct path to a satisfying sense of the dream.

Oh, yes, I've had a lot of fun with this dream. And I know it's still got more to say to me. :-)

Thanks for visiting and commenting.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home