Roswila's Dream & Poetry Realm

SEE ALSO: TRYING TO HOLD A BOX OF LIGHT (photos, realistic to abstract)

Monday, January 21, 2008

DREAMKU: Response to One Deep Breath Prompt of 1/21/08

Art (traditionally named "Temperance") in The Via Tarot


she sees beneath
the ceramic surface
living clay


This week's prompt at One Deep Breath is "vision," which I immediately associated to an artist's vision. Especially to that statement attributed, I believe, to the sculptor Rodin when he was asked how he created his statutes: that he simply saw what was already in the marble and cut away anything that was not that. Then I thought of the image on the above Tarot card and that took me to an old dreamku of mine (dreamed and written April 2007) that I've posted with it. By the way, I do not limit my understanding of "artist" only to those who paint, sculpt, etc. I believe we are all artists, in one way or another. After all, we each create a unique life with what we are given.

"Dreamku" is a haiku-like form based on night dreams that I've been developing for some time now and that a few others are also now occasionally using. (You can check the home page of this dreams and poetry blog -- just below the DAILY DREAMKU -- for more information on dreamku. And should you be interested in the Yahoo dreamku group I will be forming once I've settled into my new home cross country in California in a few weeks, please leave a comment or email me.)

I also highly encourage you to check out One Deep Breath (link above) and read the comments to enjoy others' intriguing and always inspiring responses to the prompt.

* * * *

‘til next time, keep dreaming,

Roswila

[aka: Patricia Kelly]

****If you wish to copy or use any of my writing or poems, please email me for permission (under “View my complete profile”)****My other blogs ROSWILA’S TAROT GALLERY & JOURNAL and ROSWILA’S TAIGA TAROT.

Labels:

16 Comments:

At 9:54 AM , Blogger Plain Foolish said...

Nice take on the prompt. It reminds me of a few weeks ago at the Japanese cultural center. I was looking at the ceramics, and my husband, who know that I used to do ceramic sculpture (kiln time is much more available where I come from than where I live now), kept asking me about each piece - how it got to be that way...

 
At 12:07 PM , Blogger spacedlaw said...

Many artist actually see their work before they start, I think. Running after that vision can be a real challenge.
Good take on the prompt.

 
At 12:24 PM , Blogger Tumblewords: said...

I, too, see an artist in each person. I particularly like this haiku - it speaks to the layers of life.

 
At 12:52 PM , Blogger Crafty Green Poet said...

excellent post and there's a lot of depth in your ku.

 
At 3:14 PM , Blogger Rae Trigg said...

Very nice. I sometimes wonder if that is how my sister does the sculptures she has done.

 
At 4:30 PM , Blogger paisley said...

i just love the way you were able to tie it all together... wonderful....

 
At 4:43 PM , Blogger Sian said...

I love this. It really captures for me the depth of vision artists have, a depth I have always coveted actually :)
Thanks

 
At 5:34 PM , Blogger SandyCarlson said...

I like this. I wonder whether the she is beneath the clay or the person sculpting it and then think it's both. Wonderful stuff.
Writing in Faith

 
At 5:58 AM , Blogger qualcosa di bello said...

i pray every single morning to be able to do what your words say with every person i meet that day...

your dreamku touched my heart today, as last night was so full of vivid dreams...

 
At 6:18 AM , Blogger UL said...

how lovely! Only an artist could see beneath...oh wonderful!

 
At 11:09 AM , Blogger little wing writer said...

interesting post on the prompt...that we are all artists with a vision all our own...i believe i recently saw the rodin quote somewhere and loved it...thank you

 
At 12:39 PM , Blogger Quiet Paths said...

I would most likely echo each comment already written...the interplay between artist and art is strong but subtle.

 
At 3:48 PM , Blogger susan said...

living clay

beautiful image and message.

 
At 9:37 AM , Blogger Pearl said...

living clay, what an interesting double-level phrase. dream-ku sound like a good way to get in touch with and understand what underlies.

 
At 12:21 PM , Blogger Roswila said...

Yes, Pearl, dreamku do seem sometimes to be a simple and direct way to something important within a dream. Like one I wrote on one of last night's dreams. In it I use the word "lie" as in "to lie down," as that was the action in the dream. But when I re-read the dreamku I was struck that "lie" also means "saying something untrue." And that opened up another very deep level to the dream for me.

 
At 8:51 PM , Blogger Sandy said...

Your haiku catches the vision of the artist very well. I enjoyed your take on the prompt.

The artist sees [with his vision] things that the average person does not usually notice such as the way light shines on something or the shadows.

I can sketch something and it is dull and flat...my son [an artist] sketches the same thing and makes it come alive.

S

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home