Roswila's Dream & Poetry Realm

SEE ALSO: TRYING TO HOLD A BOX OF LIGHT (photos, realistic to abstract)

Tuesday, December 25, 2007

MY FAVORITE WORD: Hypaethral



Maybe a week ago I was reading a magazine or newspaper and came across a mention of the site My Favorite Word, at which you can post a favorite word with your thoughts about it, and others can respond with their comments. "Cool," I thought as I visited, bookmarked it, and thought nothing further of the site. Then a couple days later this happened:

"I stumbled across the word hypaethral in a book by Mircea Eliade that I was reading at least 30 years ago. I loved the sound and look of it back then, but hadn't the vaguest idea what it meant, even after wrestling with the context which often yields a sense of a word strange to me. I looked it up, penciled the meaning in the margin, and promptly forgot about it until a couple days ago when culling old books preparing to move cross country. 'Hypaethral' I mused. What a lovely word, how could I have forgotten its sound and sight, much less its meaning: open to the sky; having a roofless central space. Yes, my favorite word even though I forgot about it all these years. To be open to the sky ...." [slightly edited version of my subsequent post to the My Favorite Word web site]

On making this post today it hits me that where I am moving in a month (cross country to outside Santa Barbara in California, in a senior residence) has a central space open to the sky -- i.e. a lawn rimmed with gardens and trees.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

[Image above from webshots.com.]


* * * *

‘til next time, keep dreaming,

Roswila

[aka: Patricia Kelly]

****If you wish to copy or use any of my writing or poems, please email me for permission (under “View my complete profile”)****My other blogs ROSWILA’S TAROT GALLERY & JOURNAL and ROSWILA’S TAIGA TAROT.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 8:27 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This was a wonderful post, I learned a new word, and love it, too. I love the magic that happens inside when we find something we had forgotten we had found once before.

I hope your cross country move goes as smoothly as ours did in October.

 
At 9:55 PM , Blogger Roswila said...

Glad you like hypaethral, too. I just love saying it, even just in my mind. :-)

BTW, I've missed taking part in ODB's weekly prompts, but I just don't have the time. I'll be back on board with you all once I'm settled in in California (sometime mid-February I'd think).

Hope you new home space is delightful.

Happy Holidays!

 
At 5:07 PM , Blogger SandyCarlson said...

What a gorgeous word! Thanks for this information. This is my first exposure to this wonderful word that captures a state of being I experience very often.

 
At 8:01 PM , Blogger Roswila said...

I'm so tickled that others like this word as much as I do. Happy New Year!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home