Roswila's Dream & Poetry Realm

SEE ALSO: TRYING TO HOLD A BOX OF LIGHT (photos, realistic to abstract)

Tuesday, April 17, 2007

TANKA: Response to One Deep Breath Prompt of 4/16/07

knees weakened
by the horrendous news
of the massacre:
the instinct
to pray


One Deep Breath's prompt this week is to think about the potential energy (or lack thereof) around/in us. The horrible tragedy at Virginia Tech University early this Monday morning is much with me, as it is with us all. When I heard the news report, I could barely stand before my T.V., weak and stunned. My prayers are with all those effected by this terrible tragedy.

P.S. A few hours after posting the above I began to wonder why the reports of deaths in Iraq do not impact me in quite the same way. Not that I am not deeply saddened by them. I am. But is it the level of awful familiarity that buffers those statistics? I have no answer. Only the painful question.

* * * *

‘til next time, keep dreaming,

Roswila

[aka: Patricia Kelly]

****If you wish to copy or use any of my writing or poems, please email me for permission (under “View my complete profile”)****My other blogs ROSWILA’S TAROT GALLERY & JOURNAL and ROSWILA’S TAIGA TAROT.

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

At 9:17 AM , Blogger Marcia (MeeAugraphie) said...

Beautifully written Tanka. I had started and restarted a post on how constant exposure to death affects us-- on the same lines as your comment after your poem. I never felt I had written it powerful enough to reach people. I think you just made a powerful statement in a very simple way.

 
At 9:38 AM , Blogger Roswila said...

Thanks again, Marcia. It's odd, but I kept feeling the tanka was overstated, yet I know it was not. But maybe this is a case where less would be truly more. I don't know. Maybe I've been trying to write haiku for too long and find the more openly emotional terrain of the tanka a bit "uncomfortable." :-)

 
At 9:54 AM , Blogger wrdup said...

I felt the words of your Haiku. Well done.

 
At 9:57 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my, what a meaningful Tanka to read this morning. Painful beauty.

 
At 11:00 AM , Blogger Crafty Green Poet said...

Yes I can relate so well to your tanka. I saw the news in the free paper on the bus first thing this morning. I think incidents like that affect us more because they happen in a setting that we think of as safe.

 
At 11:12 AM , Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

Amen to your powerful words and question.

 
At 11:35 AM , Blogger erin said...

I feel similarly -- I like the weak knees evolving into prayerful knees. Sometimes it is the only thing we can do -- pray and make art.

e

 
At 12:09 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, the same feelings came to me. Moving haiku.

 
At 4:53 PM , Blogger Regina said...

Thank you for posting about this in such a beautiful and heartfelt way, Rsowila- I think you have said everything with these beautiful, simple lines...

 
At 7:00 PM , Blogger Jone said...

My haiku is around the massacre as well. Your so very moving.

 
At 2:12 PM , Blogger rel said...

Wasted energy. 33 sources of wonderful energy extinguished in a few brief minutes.
This news shocks and drains the energy from our selves leaving us feeling helpless and fearful. Pray...is the best recourse in these situations.
rel

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home