Roswila's Dream & Poetry Realm

SEE ALSO: TRYING TO HOLD A BOX OF LIGHT (photos, realistic to abstract)

Thursday, April 05, 2007

SOME OF MY STAR TREK MEMORABILIA



OK, OK, this first one above is not Star Trek, but it is certainly in the genre. It's an old card a friend of mine sent me, knowing my love of science fiction (and fantasy). I particularly like that well-armed beauty on the left. No damsel in distress in need of rescue by Captain Kirk, thank you very much!

Before I go on I should say I was a trekker (not trekkie, no, not ever trekkie!) from the start. I attended the first Star Trek convention ever held here in New York City in 1973 (I hear there was one earlier in New Jersey, I believe it was). The dealers' room got so crowded at one time as to be a bit scary. My friend and I were bleary eyed by the time they finally chased us hearty hangers-on out of the filming rooms of the hotel in the wee hours, and told us "That's all folks!" Below is the back outside cover of the photo-packed program from the 1974 convention. (The front cover is a color photo of Mr. Spock with his serious Vulcan expression.)



From inside the 1974 program, Captain Kirk and Mr. Spock:



From that same program, Uhuru, with what looks to be Mr. Spock in the background. From the style of his uniform, I'd guess this is from either the first pilot ("The Cage"), or the episode ("The Menagerie") it was later made in to:



Also from that program, here's Majel Barrett (wife of Gene Roddenberry, the originator of Star Trek). For the life of me, I can't recall the name of this character, but she was a nurse (Nurse Chapel?) and in love with Spock:



In a subsequent convention, I entered the costume contest and tied for third place. I went as that tall, pregnant Queen Eleen, of the "Friday's Child" episode (played by Julie Newmar). I taped a slightly deflated child's plastic football to my stomach, and as I'm 5'9" wearing platform heels gave me really good height. The highlight for me of that convention was not tying for third but having Isaac Isamov pat my "pregnant" belly and say "I didn't do it, but I wish I had!"

The below is from my wall. It's actually a bumper sticker, but I've never peeled the back, and have kept it taped to a wall in whatever apartment I've lived in since I got it many years ago. It still gives me a chuckle when I need one:



This is a postcard. I've always imagined it was taken after a long day of shooting when they were plain silly with exhaustion:



This last is not classic Star Trek, but certainly in that universe. It's of the only other Captain to ever equal Captain Kirk, in my estimation, Captain Jean Luc Picard of Star Trek: The Next Generation. And he's with a horse, to boot!



I have lots of other memorabilia, but this is a decent sampling of that which can be scanned. In the category of unscannable are a small lapel pin of the Star Trek badge, a larger badge that makes communication noises when pressed, a small model of The Enterprise, and a large very old and now very fragile cartoon poster of Kirk and Spock in the old "Keep on Truckin' " style, that says "Keep on Trekin'."

Live Long and Prosper!

* * * *

Resource: Memory Alpha, is a collaborative project to create the most definitive, accurate, and accessible encyclopedia and reference for everything related to Star Trek.

‘til next time, keep dreaming,

Roswila

[aka: Patricia Kelly]

****If you wish to copy or use any of my writing or poems, please email me for permission (under “View my complete profile”)****My other blogs ROSWILA’S TAROT GALLERY & JOURNAL and ROSWILA’S TAIGA TAROT.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 8:42 AM , Blogger Sophia said...

"Nobody knows the tribbles I've seen". HA! That is too cute. :)

 
At 9:48 AM , Blogger Roswila said...

Yup, that's why I keep it up where I can see it. If I move to California, it'll go with me for sure. I know I had a picture of Kirk buried under all the tribbles that fell out of the guadrotritecale bin, but can't find it. Maybe it'll show up some day.... :-D

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home