Roswila's Dream & Poetry Realm

SEE ALSO: TRYING TO HOLD A BOX OF LIGHT (photos, realistic to abstract)

Monday, January 15, 2007

A HAIGA, DREAM 'KU & SCIFAIKU: Response to One Deep Breath 1-15-07

Phew! This week's prompt about reflections and/or taking a moment to reflect precipitated three widely different responses in me. The first below is an old haiku of mine I put on a graphic from webshots.com:



The words aren't as clear as I'd like, so just in case, the 'ku is: houseplants reflected/in the gazing ball/winter rain...I'm still learning to edit pictures and text in PaintBox. :-D BTW, the actual gazing ball is held on the wings of a fairy figurine, who sits among my plants on the table near the living room window. She is in a posture of reflection herself, but who knows on what.


This next is a dream 'ku, i.e. based on a recent dream:

crowded bus
the baby learns from me
to wave bye-bye

Writing this dream 'ku led me to think about how the world always mirrors our human actions, from the large as in the effects of global warming, to the "small" as in the somehow always awesome reflectivity of a baby.


And this last below is a scifaiku (link is to my post with more samples of this haiku-based scifi/fantasy/horror form):


unreflective
she styles her long hair by touch
petulant vampire

I just finished a book in which a vain and ancient female vampire has never gotten used to not being able to see herself in a mirror. She is an exceptionally evil and powerful vampire, and this lack of self-reflection is true in both senses of that term. (The graphic is The Queen of Swords in The Gothic Tarot of Vampires, published by LoScarabeo.)


Please visit One Deep Breath to read the full prompt, and to enjoy others' reponses.

* * * *

‘til next time, keep dreaming,

Roswila

[aka: Patricia Kelly]

****If you wish to copy or use any of my writing or poems, please email me for permission (under “View my complete profile”)****My other blog: ROSWILA’S TAROT GALLERY & JOURNAL.

Labels: , ,

15 Comments:

At 11:02 AM , Blogger Crafty Green Poet said...

I love the vampire scifaiku, excellent take on the prompt. I really like the houseplants haiku too. Thanks for typing the words out separately from the picture too!

 
At 4:57 PM , Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

I like gazing balls and your haiga looked great. I really liked all the many ways you used the theme...made me ponder.

 
At 7:29 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really liked all of these but your dream haiku resonated with me the most... and your reflection on it is so true.

 
At 4:22 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, the haiga was great. But, the others were very good, too.

 
At 5:47 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved the last Scifaiku. I should try that some time.

 
At 9:45 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What an interesting variety of haiku you've presented! I particularly like the gazing balls.

 
At 10:49 AM , Blogger Roswila said...

Hi Brian,

Yes, try the scifaiku form. I love it. Just as with writing dream 'ku, it allows a certain stretch of subject, but still honors haiku form basics, IMHO.

If you'd like, here's the yahoo group I've participated in for many years: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Scifaiku/

 
At 2:01 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love that last line "petulant vampire" - paints her with just the right amount of attitude.

 
At 7:36 PM , Blogger Roswila said...

Ah, thanks, Michelle, it took quite some time for the word petulant to arrive. I'd been huting (:-D) quite a while for just the right word before it came to me. Out of the blue, as words have a way of doing. LOL!

 
At 9:09 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh cool, scifaiku! a fun one to remember for a future prompt!

Great bunch.

 
At 10:57 AM , Blogger Roswila said...

Jennifer, I am so glad I took the shot and posted it. I've been writing in the scifaiku form for years, even got a few published. There's a lively scifaiku community, too.

 
At 3:18 AM , Blogger Pris said...

Thanks for visiting my blog so I could find yours. I also create a lot of unusual haiga, so it's nice to find a kindred soul. The one you saw on my blog was one of my more traditional ones. I had a series based on vintage photos in Simply Haiku over a year ago and then, later, self-portrait ones. More self-portrait ones will be in an upcoming Haiga Online.

I really liked your garden haiga especially, but like all of them. I'm going to save your link and next time I go in and add to mine, will put yours in.

 
At 9:30 AM , Blogger Roswila said...

Hi Pris,

Nice to meet you! :-) Glad you enjoyed your visit here.

I remember visiting your site and commenting on a One Deep Breath post, but now can't find that site. Is this old lady hallucinating? At any rate, I found, of course, your fabulous Poetic Inspirations. (Your haiga page...wow.) I'll be putting up a link to it soon's I do more link entry.

 
At 6:21 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I LOVE the vampire ku! What a great image -- or lack thereof!

Also enjoyed your 1/2 Irish haikus. I'm 1/2 Irish all year long, too, and found the lace curtain imagery to resonate and stir up a few memories of kitchens from my past.

What's your other 1/2?

e

 
At 7:43 AM , Blogger Roswila said...

Glad you enjoyed the vampire scifaiku. (My next post to this blog is a scifaiku string by various authors.)

Actually there's a smattering of (shock!) English in my Irish half. And the other half is German, Polish and Russian Jewish. Quite an American mutt, aren't I? Overall, I'd cop to being Irish and German, with Irish being the larger component. LOL!

Just posted a comment on your One Deep Breath ku. :-)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home