Roswila's Dream & Poetry Realm

SEE ALSO: TRYING TO HOLD A BOX OF LIGHT (photos, realistic to abstract)

Monday, January 08, 2007

HAIKU: In Reponse to One Deep Breath's Prompt for the Week of 1/08/07



january
on the promenade
forsythia buds


The prompt on One Deep Breath for this week is subtle naturally occurring changes, as opposed to those we tend to make or commit to making at the beginning of each year.

With all the warm weather we've been having here on the East Coast of the U.S. -- some people were wearing shorts a couple of days ago -- there have been some unseasonal subtle changes. Such as buds on forsythia branches.

The promendade I mention is along the river side of Brooklyn here in New York City, across from Manhattan. It's a very popular place to stroll, ride bikes, view Manhattan, shmooze, roller skate, etc., and in recent T.V. news segments it looked just like a summer afternoon.

The Japanese glyph above is "winter."

You can visit One Deep Breath (link above) to read the full prompt and enjoy others' responses.

* * * *

‘til next time, keep dreaming,

Roswila

[aka: Patricia Kelly]

****If you wish to copy or use any of my writing or poems, please email me for permission (under “View my complete profile”)****My other blog: ROSWILA’S TAROT GALLERY & JOURNAL

Labels:

15 Comments:

At 3:40 PM , Blogger get zapped said...

Splendid! a slow awakening - waiting....

 
At 5:01 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful haiku, capturing the essence of this strange, unseasonably warm winter we are experiencing.

 
At 6:58 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love this!

jb

 
At 9:25 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

beautiful

 
At 12:35 AM , Blogger Crafty Green Poet said...

Lovely observational haiku - we've had flowers blooming all winter here. Weird.

 
At 4:11 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know that promenade! How lovely.

 
At 4:49 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

So true this non-winter, at least on the East Coast.

Very nice poem.

 
At 1:35 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

A really good haiku! Our little city, (Portland,Me) also has a promenade overlooking the ocean. I am sure it was packed on Saturday, when the temperature hit 68º.

 
At 2:19 PM , Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

Simply brilliant!

 
At 8:13 PM , Blogger Roswila said...

Glad you all enjoyed my ku. All of everyone else's responses to this week's post were even more enjoyable for me than usual. :-)

 
At 8:57 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gorgeous imagery. But I worry about this warm winter.

 
At 11:06 AM , Blogger Roswila said...

Oh, yes, Jone, me too, and many other folk. I hope when someone reads this ku they take it to that next step and wonder if this is an indicator of global warming.... Even if it isn't, we still must become better stewards of this beautiful blue globe and all her creatures.

 
At 5:16 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't it amazing to see the buds popping in January! I love the glyph too!

 
At 8:09 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the image and feeling evoked by this one, however unseasonal. My own forsythias almost bloomed and my response was anxiety:

yellow buds in winter
the decider looks away
no epiphany

...but yours is a lovely, much more graceful thought!

Mary Pat

 
At 11:04 AM , Blogger Roswila said...

I wish I'd actually been on the promenade, Mary Pat. This was a "ku experienced at a remove." I saw news footage of folk wandering sociably on the promenade and close ups of the buds.

Yes, anxiety certainly is in both of our kus. What is intriguing about yours is how human consciousness gets contrasted with the natural(?) budding of the forsythia -- its instinctive(?) response that does not think, but just responds, cannot do otherwise. Woops! I do go on...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home