Roswila's Dream & Poetry Realm

SEE ALSO: TRYING TO HOLD A BOX OF LIGHT (photos, realistic to abstract)

Wednesday, January 03, 2007

TAROT READING FOR NENA (A Poem)

Photo from Snow Crystals

Nena was a dear friend. I just heard of her death. It was not unexpected as she'd been ill for a while. At the time I wrote the poem below (14 years ago) she was 72 years young. We eventually had only occasional phone and mail contact, she living upstate and my arthritic knees no longer permitting me to make the bus trip to visit. But she was always in my heart and prayers. I post this poem in her memory and to offer a blessing for her further journey, but mostly to express my gratitude for her friendship.

The editor in my mind wants to say how this poem does not fully jell or "work." But my heart loves the closing image. It captures my experience of her and I want to share it with you.

I sent Nena a box of "The Twelve Teas of Christmas" for the holidays. I am told she never knew it, as she was hospitalized just before it arrived. It is going to be shared to accompany the pot luck dinner at her memorial gathering. Fare thee well, dear friend....


TAROT READING FOR NENA

I am swept more quickly than usual
into the magic space the Tarot opens upon.

Her Swiss accent, energy and bright cheeks
enchant me, as any lingering concern
about the quality of reading
I can offer is banished.

The treasures of her son's family
and husband's Native American heritage,
her knowledge of astrology and herbs,
her deep connection to the Spirit in nature,
all open before me like surprise gifts
as we travel with the Tarot as our guide.

And we voyage on, her humor, strength
and independence, and the youth that radiates
from this elfin Elder as she continues
to learn about life, all delight and enrich me.

At the end of our journey, she hugs me.

I feel blessed, deeply and gently,
by the touch of fierce white wings.

(written June 1993; slightly revised January 2007)

* * * *

‘til next time, keep dreaming,

Roswila

[aka: Patricia Kelly]

****If you wish to copy or use any of my writing or poems, please email me for permission (under “View my complete profile”)****My other blog: ROSWILA’S TAROT GALLERY & JOURNAL.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 4:24 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is lovely, Patricia... I wish I'd known your friend!

Mary Pat

 
At 7:44 PM , Blogger Roswila said...

Yes, you'd have enjoyed her, I'm sure.

I think Nena visited me in a dream just around the time of her death. I dreamed about another Nina (spelled differently) I know, who is always a problematic figure in my dreams. But in this dream a few days ago, she was friendly and visiting me in New York. :-)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home