Roswila's Dream & Poetry Realm

SEE ALSO: TRYING TO HOLD A BOX OF LIGHT (photos, realistic to abstract)

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

BIRDS ON A WIRE (A Poem)



BIRDS ON A WIRE

An eye on one bird blinks
and a hill years away transmutes
into a blue bell of sky.

Another dips its beak and the disguise
of rocks dissolves, the void within
as vast as those between stars,
and brimming with all potential.

This orange sun would not
have risen without their songs,

without their small feet holding
the tension of the wire, without

their soft shadows weaving webs
of grace from each note's fall.


Written 1994; revised 2000

* * * *

I wrote this poem soon after reading an article on quantum field theory, while I was still mulling over the images that arose as I tried to comprehend what I'd read. This poem was called to mind while reading a paper yesterday by Dr. Montague Ullman, in which he begins to posit a new way to understand dreams/dreaming based in quantum field theory and the work of the physicist David Bohm.

BTW, I'm participating in the International Association for the Study of Dreams PsiberDreaming Conference (online, where I read Dr. Ullman's paper) until October 8th, so may not be posting here as frequently as usual.

‘til next time, keep dreaming,

Roswila

[aka: Patricia Kelly]

****If you wish to copy or use any of my writing or poems, please email me for permission (under “View my complete profile”)****My other blog: ROSWILA’S TAROT GALLERY & JOURNAL.

2 Comments:

At 1:07 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I admire that phrase 'a hill years away'

I adore the last three segments, which clarify the beginning of the piece without repeating it. And I especially like where you broke the lines to begin and end with 'wthout.'

Given all the imagery built into this, I don't think you need the word 'potential.' You could easily stop at 'all,' make it 'the all,' or make it 'All.'

I've got to keep a copy of this to re-read.

oino

 
At 2:14 PM , Blogger Roswila said...

Ah, how wonderful to take a break from the PsiberDreaming Conference and find your comment, Oino.

I think you may be "spot on" with respect to that line with the word "potential" in it. I will have to think on just how to reword it, though, because I become very attached not only to the meaning of a line, but to it's pacing, it's rhythm.

BTW, I posted this poem to the PsiberDreaming Conference thread on Dr. Ullman's paper and got good responses there, too.

All this nice feedback is a joy as this is one of those poems that's been languishing in my files for years after getting no response from fellow poets back in the years I'd read it at poetry readings.

Muchisimas Gracias, Oino!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home