Roswila's Dream & Poetry Realm

SEE ALSO: TRYING TO HOLD A BOX OF LIGHT (photos, realistic to abstract)

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

SUBWAY MENAGE A TROIS

[graphic from Equizotic.com]

I spent the majority of my 46 years of commuting to and from work by subway train reading. The rest, coping with delays and snafus in service, along with all my fellow long-suffering commuters. But occasionally I'd look outward through my protective inner focus and observe something intriguing.


SUBWAY MENAGE A TROIS

Jean knees bleached
as if by his dark heat,
he dips his shaggy head to a book.

Like a young horse anxious to perform
his tensing muscles betray awareness
of the young woman beside him.

She poses as if checkreined,
just barely past the lightly pungent odors
of sweet sweat and bubble gum.

Brushed and clean, blonde and golden cold,
she sparkles with refusal to acknowledge him.

And I, long past their pride and innocence,
if no wiser, yearn to bathe languidly
between them where the aura
of damp dark heat meets a golden frost.


* * * *

Resource: New York City Transit Authority info on Wikipedia.com, what a relief that this link is about as close as I need come to a subway now that I'm retired. :-) By the way, in the fare rate history $.15 is listed as the earliest. Well, I remember a brief time when it was only $.13 (now $2.00) and have a very vague recollection of a nickel fare (or maybe two nickels).

‘til next time, keep dreaming,

Roswila

[aka: Patricia Kelly]

****If you wish to copy or use any of my writing or poems, please email me for permission (under “View my complete profile”)****My other blog: ROSWILA’S TAROT GALLERY & JOURNAL.

2 Comments:

At 8:52 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm only dropping by, as I do whenever there's time. But I can't leave today without telling you how SUPERB AND COMPELLING I found this piece re: your observance of the chemistry clash between these two strangers on the subway. Bravo. And thank you for sharing your work.

 
At 11:41 AM , Blogger Roswila said...

Sheila, you do my heart good. At any time, a comment like this would be very welcome. But it's even more so with respect to this poem. It's been revised more times than I'd care to admit. And even in this version I was concerned that all but the last stanzas were awkward. However, I'd promised myself this blog was a place to enjoy sharing, not to get all caught up in trying to present "perfect" work. (Good intention, hard practice. :-D)

Hope you enjoy any future visits you make here.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home