Roswila's Dream & Poetry Realm

SEE ALSO: TRYING TO HOLD A BOX OF LIGHT (photos, realistic to abstract)

Friday, July 06, 2007

ONE OF MY HAIKU IN JAPANESE!



dry glory vines
cling to the gate
seed pod harvest


I'm so excited to finally feel OK about posting this. I've had it for years, but had lost the man's name who did the calligraphy. A friend had emailed him my haiku above (below the graphic). He then emailed me his version in Japanese ideograms. I was so thrilled and still am! I finally realized I could email that friend and just today got his full name, KOTARO MAYAGI (from Tokyo, Japan).

I cannot recall if I ever asked him why he says he "changed the subject from the one who harvests," as my last line addresses the harvest of seed pods itself, not the harvester. (Translation problem? Though I suppose "harvest" can be read as either the harvest in process or the results of the harvest. ) However, it does seem to me that the haiku is essentially the same in both versions. And beyond that, it is just a delight to see a moment I wrote about in Japanese ideograms. The haiku form's "mother tongue." :-) And doesn't the Japanese version look like vines climbing?

* * * *

‘til next time, keep dreaming,

Roswila

[aka: Patricia Kelly]

****If you wish to copy or use any of my writing or poems, please email me for permission (under “View my complete profile”)****My other blogs ROSWILA’S TAROT GALLERY & JOURNAL and ROSWILA’S TAIGA TAROT.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 1:56 AM , Blogger Crafty Green Poet said...

How wonderful to have one of your haiku translated into Japanese!

 
At 9:38 AM , Blogger Roswila said...

Oh, yes, crafty green poet, as I dithered in the post I was so tickled and in a way, felt given an honor. :-)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home