Roswila's Dream & Poetry Realm

SEE ALSO: TRYING TO HOLD A BOX OF LIGHT (photos, realistic to abstract)

Monday, March 12, 2007

HAIKU: RESPONSE TO ONE DEEP BREATH PROMPT OF 3/12/07


This week's prompt was to consider stillness/calm. My haiku above is based on a memory of years back, when I was commuting to and from work by subway, and just about anywhere else I needed to go. It was extremely rare that I had even a moment of stillness (either literally or metaphorically) anywhere near New York city's subway system, which is why I've never forgotten the experience.

You can visit One Deep Breath to read the full prompt, and to enjoy others' creative responses. The picture is a revision of one I did for a Tarot card, tweaked tremendously in the Paint program. :-)

* * * *

'til next time, keep dreaming,

Roswila

[aka: Patricia Kelly]

****If you wish to copy or use any of my writing or poems, please email me for permission (under “View my complete profile”)****My other blog: ROSWILA’S TAROT GALLERY & JOURNAL.

Labels:

13 Comments:

At 7:45 AM , Blogger Crafty Green Poet said...

Lovely urban haiku.

 
At 7:45 AM , Blogger Bianca said...

I could see this vision so perfectly. Great haiku, you brought reality of the city home to me.

 
At 9:05 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like your haiku, it shows that still moments can occur anywhere.

 
At 9:19 AM , Blogger Regina said...

It reminds me of a trip on the underground in London- the last stop and it was, oh, so peaceful comparatively!
Wonderful, Roswila!

 
At 10:04 AM , Blogger Roswila said...

Brian: I even think stillness is more an inner state, than an outer one. If we can maintain it, and that's a very big "if" for me. :-D

Regina: Oh, yes, stopped and for real at last. Phew! And even the graffiti is "silenced." :-)

 
At 11:42 AM , Blogger get zapped said...

Roswila, this is precious. A fine work with imagery and environment. All city dwellers need this moment.

 
At 12:07 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Talk about memories! You bring to mind the times I was a (temporarily) homeless 'yo-yo' subway rider (back in the '60's) going from Getty Square in Yonkers as far as the subway would take me, then cross the tracks and go back uptown...all night long. Lots of still moments but not much peace unfortunately in those days. That was to come much later.
And thanks for your visit.

 
At 2:40 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your glimpses of city life. This is a good haiku.

 
At 8:40 PM , Blogger Roswila said...

Thanks, Sandy. I haven't been out of New York city in years. I yearn to write some nature haiku, but that's the way it is. I at least live on a block with lots of trees and flowers. :-)

 
At 8:45 PM , Blogger Roswila said...

Oh, Ron, I'm delighted you are no longer living on the subways. I can imagine the unpeaceful stillness you experienced. I'm glad you survived and now apparently thrive!

 
At 8:49 PM , Blogger Roswila said...

Thank you, getzapped. Posting this ku has really reminded me that stillness and calm come from inside, not outside. Now to work on that ... :-D

 
At 8:54 PM , Blogger Jone said...

This is so lovely. It is easy to vision.

 
At 8:02 AM , Blogger wrchili said...

Lovely haiku! It's so easy to picture it. It's amazing where calm experiences can pop up in our hectic lives if you are willing to look for them.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home