Roswila's Dream & Poetry Realm

SEE ALSO: TRYING TO HOLD A BOX OF LIGHT (photos, realistic to abstract)

Saturday, April 04, 2020

WINK FROM AN OVERBLOWN ROSE (photo) & REACHING FOR THE STARS (free verse dream poem) by Roswila]


REACHING FOR THE STARS

that guy I’d once had a brief, fun crush on comments
a bit flirtatiously on how good my feet and legs look:
what a white lie, the only truth is that my socks are clean
(they’re as bright a white as his lie); then that former
roommie of mine, a young woman, makes it obvious by
her behavior she’d not ever been whom I’d believed
her to be: not that modest, almost shy young thing, but
to the contrary, had always been a seductive flirt, even
to the extent of cupping her own fully exposed breasts
for a photo; then there’s Patrick Stewart, a long-time
favorite actor/star of mine: we’re right on the edge of
becoming lovers as he shows up in the dream; as
agreed, I wait for him by my bed, but it’s a big let-
down when he finally arrives; sigh, I’d always known
he might choose to stay true to his wife and it’s clear
that’s what he’s decided to do: he doesn’t even
acknowledge my presence, much less say anything
to me or even just give me a meaningful glance
as he walks to the other side of the bed; he reaches
under the mattress and pulls out a small black book,
tied shut with a matching cord, and leaves; it’s as if
an entire galaxy has disappeared from the night sky,
not just one star; I do not know if I’m repressing tears
but none fall: only echoes fill the emptiness I’ve always
lived with: for you see, I never really believed anyone’s
story, making my life this cosmic accumulation of their
lies or at the very least their self-delusions; I simply
chose to live in denial, rather than stand here like this,
aching in every arthritic joint (a considerable number)
and in what’s left of my heart: yearning still for what
has always been as far out of reach as that one star
still vaguely visible in this cloud ridden night sky


[free verse poem on a dream of 3-31-20. Patrick Stewart has been a favorite of mine since he first hit US T.V. in Star Trek all those years ago. And the other two mentioned here are folk in my life (to one degree or other). It’s actually a relief to focus on something other than the pandemic for a change. Even if it’s the same old, same old self-pity. Photo “Wink from an Overblown Rose” (9-7-09 3580e b and w[3]) by Roswila]

PLEASE NOTE: in most browsers you can click on the above image for a larger version. Also, the photo accompanying a post is not necessarily meant to illustrate it, but to reflect some small, even slant or contrasting aspect of the verse, similar to Japanese haiga (illustrated haiku).

There are many other sorts of posts on this blog. I indicate which are about or influenced by dreams. Some non dream focused posts are book reviews, "regular" poems (some by other writers), scifaiku, writing exercises, Tarot haiku, photos, haiga, and so on. However, most of those are in much older posts. There's a listing by month going back to early 2006, at the end of the sidebar.

* * * *
until next time, keep dreaming,





[a/k/a Patricia Kelly]
**** If you wish to copy or use any of my writing or poems, please email me for permission (under “View my complete profile”). Roswila's other blog (dedicated to her photos only, i.e. no poetry or other writing; daily post); TRYING TO HOLD A BOX OF LIGHT.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home