Roswila's Dream & Poetry Realm

SEE ALSO: TRYING TO HOLD A BOX OF LIGHT (photos, realistic to abstract)

Friday, January 05, 2018

STIRRING THE POT (photo) & WHAT'S COOKIN'? (free verse dream poem) by Roswila


WHAT'S COOKIN'?

as I stir the large wide-mouthed pot of stew
on the stove to make sure all the chunks and
slices are thoroughly cooked, my large handled
spoon catches on a dark leathery strip of meat;
it seems utterly out of place in this concoction
and I also can't tell if it's spoiled; I stir it around
and around with the rest of the stew ingredients
thinking that once completely cooked, if it's rotten
won't matter as all the poison will have been boiled
away; a woman friend approaches and I decide to get
her opinion on this odd strip of meat, lifting it above
the pot, balanced precariously on the end of my ladle;
she looks at it and instantly says "Oh, no, it's gone
completely bad, just look into its eyes!" I check out
the meat and see a canine-like profile in it with a sharp
nose and even sharper teeth, and an eye I'm glad I can't
see the other in the pair of as it's so scary all by itself;
I quickly dump the steaming strip into the tightly
lidded garbage can in the corner, it's image sticking
in my mind like a warning that one should not come
anywhere near swallowing some things, ever


[free verse poem on a dream from the evening of 1-4-18. Sigh, Happy Birthday (yesterday) to me, ey? BTW, although not specifically stressed here, it was a male creature I saw in that piece of meat (if you'll pardon what right now I see as a rather appropriate pun). So though not overtly another in that series of males of the human species dreams I've been having, it does definitely connect to that miserable trend I (unfortunately) seem to have established in my dream world. Photo "Stirring the Pot" (12-30-17 006v2) by Roswila]

PLEASE NOTE: in most browsers you can click on the above image for a larger version. Also, the photo accompanying a post is not necessarily meant to illustrate it, but to reflect some small, even slant aspect of the verse, similar to Japanese haiga (illustrated haiku).

There are many other sorts of posts on this blog. I indicate which are about or influenced by dreams. Some non dream focused posts are book reviews, "regular" poems (some by other writers), scifaiku, writing exercises, Tarot haiku, photos, haiga, and so on. However, most of those are in much older posts. There's a listing by month going back to early 2006, at the end of the sidebar.

* * * *
until next time, keep dreaming,





[a/k/a Patricia Kelly]
**** If you wish to copy or use any of my writing or poems, please email me for permission (under “View my complete profile”). Roswila's other blog (dedicated to her photos only, i.e. no poetry or other writing; daily post)
; TRYING TO HOLD A BOX OF LIGHT.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home