Roswila's Dream & Poetry Realm

SEE ALSO: TRYING TO HOLD A BOX OF LIGHT (photos, realistic to abstract)

Monday, June 26, 2017

YEAH, I REMEMBER THAT PARTY (photo) & THE GREAT DISTANCE (dream based prose poem) by Roswila


THE GREAT DISTANCE

I wander the poolside party alone
in the crowd; a young man wearing
barely more than his cowboy hat
scurries away from me as if
fearful this old lady might make
a pass at him; what a joke, I think,
he should only know how acutely
aware I am of my advancing
decrepitude; and more nearly naked
bodies, male and female, young and
not-quite-so-old, lounge together in
couples and in the occasional languid
exploring bunch, in the party's shadows
... damn, I could use a drink ... what better
time to break my 35 years of sobriety
than now, right in the middle of this
nightmare: actually at a party for a
change but more lonely than ever;
I reach for a drink being held out to me
with a warning that it's the last one
available, but the server turns suddenly
away from me to give it to someone else;
just then I receive a series of photos
by email from the man who's my current
hopeless crush; the photo that hits hardest:
he's sitting at one of the poolside
umbrella tables, his left arm around
one of the several women with him,
his right raising his beer to the star-
filled night sky, across which a text
message appears telling me what
to do from the great distance
he always keeps between us:
"Party, Patricia! PARTY! PARTY!"


[prose poem on a dream of 6-25-17. Photo "Yeah, I Remember that Party" (1-1-09 OLD PIX, 003v2b) by Roswila]

PLEASE NOTE: in most browsers you can click on the above image for a larger version. Also, the photo accompanying a post is not necessarily meant to illustrate it, but to reflect some small, even slant aspect of the verse, similar to Japanese haiga (illustrated haiku).

There are many other sorts of posts on this blog. I indicate which are about or influenced by dreams. Some non dream focused posts are book reviews, "regular" poems (some by other writers), scifaiku, writing exercises, Tarot haiku, photos, haiga, and so on. However, most of those are in much older posts. There's a listing by month going back to early 2006, at the end of the sidebar.

* * * *
until next time, keep dreaming,






[a/k/a Patricia Kelly]
**** If you wish to copy or use any of my writing or poems, please email me for permission (under “View my complete profile”). Roswila's other blog (dedicated to her photos only, i.e. no poetry or other writing; daily post)
; TRYING TO HOLD A BOX OF LIGHT.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home