Roswila's Dream & Poetry Realm

SEE ALSO: TRYING TO HOLD A BOX OF LIGHT (photos, realistic to abstract)

Friday, July 27, 2007

THE STONE GATHERER (A Poem by Patricia Kelly)




THE STONE GATHERER

On first attempt, I do not drown
but float to the surface, my back bent
above the water.

Now I collect stones, and tell others
they are grave markers.

But my body is the true marker
and its own grave, deserted by all
but the faintest signs of life that twist
upward like stunted flowers
through graveyard dust.

And I continue to collect stones, lining
my seams with pebbles, my pockets with rocks,
my shoes and socks with gravel.
I even swallow small ocean worn stones.

I will not surface
this time.

Patricia Kelly © 2007 (original draft 1990)

* * * *

Life's been the pits recently. Could you tell by the above? :-D Too much has been going on all at once, most of it upsetting. Although this is a very old poem, I have made recent revisions, and it does unfortunately fit my mood a bit too well and too often these days. I hasten to add, though, that I am living the life given to me to live, eating well and losing weight, and still planning to move out of this apartment and maybe even this city. Not to mention undertaking various creative projects and keeping up with three blogs. So I'm not as utterly lost as I was in the days I wrote this piece.

[BTW, the photo above is one of those I've had on my computer for years. The web site in the lower right hand corner (www.bird.fl) is defunct.]

* * * *

Resource: Ideas for Writing Poetry in the Classroom, for children, but good for anyone who wants to prime their writing pump.

‘til next time, keep dreaming,

Roswila

[aka: Patricia Kelly]

****If you wish to copy or use any of my writing or poems, please email me for permission (under “View my complete profile”)****My other blogs ROSWILA’S TAROT GALLERY & JOURNAL and ROSWILA’S TAIGA TAROT.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home