Roswila's Dream & Poetry Realm

SEE ALSO: TRYING TO HOLD A BOX OF LIGHT (photos, realistic to abstract)

Monday, November 27, 2006

HAIKU: Response to One Deep Breath's Prompt of 11/27/06




after her death
cleaning my roommate's closet
little by little



The prompt from One Deep Breath for this week was to think of a legacy in our lives. (You can visit One Deep Breath to see the full prompt and the other women's responses to it.) Brenda, the roommate mentioned above, left me a great deal. For one, she introduced me to The Tarot, which became a defining and inspiring passion in my life. (See my Tarot blog.)

P.S. My practice is not to post a graphic for which I do not have a current credit line, but the website I have for the one above is defunct (www.birds.fl). And the photo is so fitting for this 'ku that I am putting it up anyway, hoping I am not stepping on anyone's rights and/or toes. :-)

* * * *

‘til next time, keep dreaming,

Roswila

[aka: Patricia Kelly]

****If you wish to copy or use any of my writing or poems, please email me for permission (under “View my complete profile”)****My other blog: ROSWILA’S TAROT GALLERY & JOURNAL.

11 Comments:

At 1:57 AM , Blogger paris parfait said...

Such a bittersweet haiku. I'm sorry for the loss of your friend.

 
At 7:15 AM , Blogger JP (mom) said...

Mmmm...interesting haiku, exploring the remnants of a life gone. I love the picture you chose to match it. much peace, JP

 
At 7:49 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I see why you used that shot--it is just right. A very thoughtful haiku.

 
At 7:58 PM , Blogger Catherine said...

The picture matches the haiku beautifully. I'm sorry for the loss of your roommate - her legacy will stay with you

 
At 6:17 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow--this is so evocative. Sad, overwhelming. So much in such a few words. Well done.

 
At 8:28 AM , Blogger michelle said...

Such beautiful mystery in this haiku. I can't help but wonder what things turned up in the closet.

 
At 11:24 AM , Blogger Roswila said...

Going through her closet was like a recap of her life and our relationship. I did not find anything surprising (though I found confirmation for things she'd never told me but that I had intuited), and I found much to both laugh and cry over. That's why I had to do the cleaning "little by little." It would have been way too overwhelming to do all at once.

I deeply appreciate everyone's responses.

 
At 7:38 PM , Blogger susanlavonne said...

It still amazes me how so few words, carefully chosen, can convey such exact emotions...this is such a powerful haiku.
Heartfelt sympathy for your loss.

 
At 11:38 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

visit One Deep Breath to see the full prompt and the other women's responses to it

We may be in the minority but surely I can't be the lone male in this haiku pride. ::grin::

loved the 'ku, especially the last line. cleaning, mourning, healing... it's all done little by little.

 
At 11:46 AM , Blogger Roswila said...

Uh, as far as I know (I'm relatively new to ODP) you are the lone male. I had wondered at the name Bice.... :-)

I appreciate your comment on the last line of this 'ku. Yes, and that "little by little" continues over the years. Less and less often, but like minute pieces of flotsam and jetsam that float up from the depths ....

 
At 10:00 AM , Blogger Crafty Green Poet said...

You say so much in that haiku, its very moving. Sorry i didn't get the chance to comment earlier.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home