Roswila's Dream & Poetry Realm

SEE ALSO: TRYING TO HOLD A BOX OF LIGHT (photos, realistic to abstract)

Saturday, December 17, 2016

EACH IN THEIR OWN WAY (photomorph) & WHAT GOT INTO ME (dream narrative) by Roswila


WHAT GOT INTO ME

even as I ask him if I can sing along
I realize I've got a lot of, shall we say, nerve:
sing along with Frank Sinatra?! and a song*
I have trouble recalling the lyrics to and don't
even have written down to follow as I sing?!

but the die's cast and we're performing (if you can
call that what we're doing) as he's clearly thrown
off by my lack of knowledge of the song's words,
noticing when I try to signal a friend to pull
them up on her smart phone

to top it all off the handicapped child of a friend
has arrived unexpectedly to listen, and possibly
perform later himself; the shushing sound of
the portable respirator on the child's chest
and the rolling of his wheelchair into place
backstage is a further distraction to my already
wobbly focus though I respond to his weak
but happy little wave with one of my own

when the song's (blessedly) over I immediately
apologize to Frank (after first apologizing for
calling him Frank and not Mr. Sinatra, yikes!)
that I never should have taken on a song I
didn't know extremely well, and that I don't
know what got into me to do so

he tries to reassure me by pointing out that
the song I chose is tough to sing along to,
no matter how you stack it, as it's in
the style of a requiem and so its beat is
unpredictable, designed to be formless
to accommodate the many differing
types of mourners who come
to it for solace

sigh, I think, it's true my grief has never
fit any form or expectation, and it's not
really surprising that I forgot the lyrics
as ultimately they're about not letting go,
even as the tune's requiem rhythm
betrays the painful reality of loss


[narrative on a dream of 12-2-16. *Lyrics to "I've Got You Under My Skin," the song I tried to sing at different points as I was dreaming, but to which I could only recall a very small portion of the lyrics. Photomorph "Each In Their Own Way" (12-09-16 041v2a) by Roswila]

PLEASE NOTE: in most browsers you can click on the above image for a larger version. Also, the photo accompanying a post is not necessarily meant to illustrate it, but to reflect some small, even slant aspect of the verse, similar to Japanese haiga (illustrated haiku).

There are many other sorts of posts on this blog. I indicate which are about or influenced by dreams. Some non dream focused posts are book reviews, "regular" poems (some by other writers), scifaiku, writing exercises, Tarot haiku, photos, haiga, and so on. However, most of those are in much older posts. There's a listing by month going back to early 2006, at the end of the sidebar.

* * * *
until next time, keep dreaming,





[a/k/a Patricia Kelly]
**** If you wish to copy or use any of my writing or poems, please email me for permission (under “View my complete profile”). Roswila's other blog (dedicated to her photos only, i.e. no poetry or other writing; daily post)
; TRYING TO HOLD A BOX OF LIGHT.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home