Roswila's Dream & Poetry Realm

SEE ALSO: TRYING TO HOLD A BOX OF LIGHT (photos, realistic to abstract)

Tuesday, June 07, 2016

STRETCHING TOWARD MORNING (photo) & THE DANCER (dream narrative) by Roswila


THE DANCER

the young, dark haired man's quite a talented dancer,
winning a T.V. talent show, only to be hounded
out of N.Y.C. by envious peers

the teacher of a dance class he's now considering sampling,
here, cross-country from N.Y., shows delight at the young
man's interest, "Talent's talent," the teacher declares

other newbies and I show up for the sample class, only
to learn that the teacher's now absent, when long time
students invite the young man to teach in his place

he hesitates, a wide range of emotions flickering across
his pale face, I can almost hear the many thoughts
gathered behind them:

... why do you want me, someone who's been bullied?
... I love to dance, but am I really all that good?
... how come you think I can teach?

and as his face flushes, I become aware of his last thought:

... is your class worth my taking such a chance?

this is the question I address as tactfully as I can,
wanting to support this talented young man's healing,
and somehow certain it'll help us, too:

"I took a sample class once, quite some time ago, young man,
and it's marvelous, a place to take risks, to stretch ..."

before I can even finish, he's smiling and beginning
to sort us into orderly rows

"Now, please, for starters," he says, "each of you do
a solo improv dance across the hall..."

the new day's sun lights the golden brown floorboards
that wink at each of us in turn as we dance gaily across them


[narrative on a dream of 6-6-16. Photo "Stretching Toward Morning" (5-28-16 005v15) by Roswila]

PLEASE NOTE: in most browsers you can click on the above image for a larger version. Also, the photo accompanying a post is not necessarily meant to illustrate it, but to reflect some small, even slant aspect of the verse, similar to Japanese haiga (illustrated haiku).

There are many other sorts of posts on this blog. I indicate which are about or influenced by dreams. Some non dream focused posts are book reviews, "regular" poems (some by other writers, as the above is), scifaiku, writing exercises, Tarot haiku, photos, haiga, and so on. However, most of those are in much older posts. There's a listing by month going back to early 2006, at the end of the sidebar.

* * * *
until next time, keep dreaming,





[a/k/a Patricia Kelly]
**** If you wish to copy or use any of my writing or poems, please email me for permission (under “View my complete profile”). Roswila's other blog (dedicated to her photos only, i.e. no poetry or other writing; daily post); TRYING TO HOLD A BOX OF LIGHT.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home