Roswila's Dream & Poetry Realm

SEE ALSO: TRYING TO HOLD A BOX OF LIGHT (photos, realistic to abstract)

Thursday, June 02, 2016

THE DOORS COME LAST (photo) & ON OPENING THE DOOR (tanka series on a dream) by Roswila


ON OPENING THE DOOR

just when I'd thought
I'd let all that go, here she is,
my old frenemy again,
and sugar sure as hell still
wouldn't melt in her young mouth

but what disturbs me more?
as always, I welcome her presence,
intelligent and gentle --
you might well then wonder why
I think of us as frenemies

and that's a good point
that I doubt I can clarify for you,
only my intuition
keeps saying not to trust her,
that prodding in my stomach,

that never fails to steer
me true even as I doubt its poking
that makes me queasy --
but as I said, I welcome her
into my home ... but hells bells!

not all these strangers
in her wake! all these loud young
folk, not one invited
to the party I'd organized
to fill my empty evening

annoying, yes! dangerous?
I don't know but won't risk it
I ask my frenemy
to shield me from their view
as I pull out my old flip top cell

I dial the cops
thinking one can never really
know what will tumble
right on through when one takes
a chance and opens the door


[non-traditional tanka series on a dream of 6-1-16. I say "non-traditional" tanka because I didn't bother with the syllable counts for the lines (5-7-5-7-7), and just approximated them. I read somewhere not long ago online that some folk simply define tanka these days as five lines: short, long, short, long, long, which is what I've done here. Photo "The Doors Come Last" (4-21-16 025v3) by Roswila]

PLEASE NOTE: in most browsers you can click on the above image for a larger version. Also, the photo accompanying a post is not necessarily meant to illustrate it, but to reflect some small, even slant aspect of the verse, similar to Japanese haiga (illustrated haiku).

There are many other sorts of posts on this blog. I indicate which are about or influenced by dreams. Some non dream focused posts are book reviews, "regular" poems (some by other writers, as the above is), scifaiku, writing exercises, Tarot haiku, photos, haiga, and so on. However, most of those are in much older posts. There's a listing by month going back to early 2006, at the end of the sidebar.

* * * *
until next time, keep dreaming,





[a/k/a Patricia Kelly]
**** If you wish to copy or use any of my writing or poems, please email me for permission (under “View my complete profile”). Roswila's other blog (dedicated to her photos only, i.e. no poetry or other writing; daily post)
; TRYING TO HOLD A BOX OF LIGHT.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home