Roswila's Dream & Poetry Realm

SEE ALSO: TRYING TO HOLD A BOX OF LIGHT (photos, realistic to abstract)

Sunday, May 04, 2014

SINK HOLE (photo art) & IN THE DOG HOUSE (free verse dream poem) by Roswila


IN THE DOG HOUSE

something wakes me suddenly --
as I roll over to get to my feet
I land instead on my back on the floor
with one of the several dogs living here
nudging me insistently

I'm too tired and sleepy to haul myself
back into bed so curl up with the dog
and its mate -- a lovely female
with pale silky hair -- the three of us
forming a tangled nest on my tufted
baby blue rug

as I'm falling back to sleep the female
whispers in my ear as if it were
a bedtime story by the brothers Grimm:
You do realize we sometimes leave
a leather strap on a home's doorknob
to let our hunters know a human
lives there for the taking, don't you?

wide awake I struggle free of the no
longer comfortable nest of long limbs,
claws and teeth, and race to the front
door: a whippet thin golden collie
poses there pointing to the ajar door
with its open latch as if it were a quail

I rapidly shut and re-latch the portal
wondering if this stretched
collie was really warning me
the front door was open,
or had I simply caught it in the act
of unlocking and it was covering
its butt (so to speak)

then there's a clamor out in the hall,
muffled as quickly as it rises: what
can possibly be going on out there
at this pre-dawn hour? and what's
that minuscule scratching and bumping
now against my door?

on high alert, I hold my breath, a determined
if very sad guard against two worlds:
the unknown outside and the untrusted within


[free verse poem on a dream of 5-3-14. Photo art "Sink Hole" (5-3-14 003v3) by Roswila]

CELEBRATE OLDER AMERICANS MONTH: MAY 2014!

PLEASE NOTE: in most browsers you can click on the above image for a larger version. Also, the photo accompanying a post is not necessarily meant to illustrate it, but to reflect some small, even slant aspect of the verse, similar to Japanese haiga (illustrated haiku).

There are many other sorts of posts on this blog. I indicate which are about or influenced by dreams. Some non dream focused posts are book reviews, "regular" poems (some by other writers, as the above is), scifaiku, writing exercises, Tarot haiku, photos, haiga, and so on. However, most of those are in much older posts. There's a listing by month going back to early 2006, at the end of the sidebar.

* * * *
until next time, keep dreaming,






[a/k/a Patricia Kelly]
**** If you wish to copy or use any of my writing or poems, please email me for permission (under “View my complete profile”). Roswila's connections & other blogs: Charter Member of the United Haiku and Tanka Society (UHTS); ROSWILA'S TAROT GALLERY & JOURNAL; ROSWILA'S TAIGA TAROT; and TRYING TO HOLD A BOX OF LIGHT.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home