Roswila's Dream & Poetry Realm

SEE ALSO: TRYING TO HOLD A BOX OF LIGHT (photos, realistic to abstract)

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

CALIFORNIA QUEST (A Haiku Series)

The below are only a portion of what I wrote during my recent five day trip to the Santa Barbara area of California. I was visting some dear friends and checking out a senior residence in Goleta (which it turns out I may very well move to within several months). I will also add that my prayers are with everyone effected by the fires still raging in southern California.

The haiku below are in the order in which I wrote them. All were written pretty much right after I exprienced the moments I attempt to share in them, so they do serve as a sort of journal of the trip.


CALIFORNIA QUEST

night’s silent end
a plane tail glides
next to the window

* * * *

sunrise streaks
beyond the runways
he asks for the time

* * * *

my own home somewhere
in a sea of homes below
neighborhood gameboard

* * * *

I walk the plane aisle stiffly
Harry Potter flies

* * * *

the eighteenth gate
my next flight at ninety
a wheelchair trumps pride

* * * *

she squints laughing
to read her boarding pass
her bare belly

* * * *

the plane window holds
peak after snowy peak
my heart wakes

* * * *

air turbulence
my cryptic hand notes
his laptop

* * * *

the sea appears through clouds
this mermaid is home

* * * *

sea weed, sail boats
a sun-warmed pier
this surge of sadness

* * * *

rocking the blues away eucalyptus shadows

* * * *

the gardener’s pail
overflows unnoticed
sunlit gossip

* * * *

palms at attention
gaggles of college students
bicycle by

* * * *

distant train whistle
reaching for the colorful quilt

* * * *

my friend naps
with her snoring pug
tired hosts

* * * *

tall palms stand before
dark power lines
luncheon al fresco

* * * *

her crossed leg swings
a denim covered pendulum
sunlit waiting room

* * * *

homeward bound
released by the foothills
into the sky

* * * *

straight to my heart
the bright lights of New York
in the plane window

* * * *

days of mail piled in the hall
the stairs won’t reach the sky

* * * *

Resource: How to Revise & Improve Your Haiku, good basic questions to ask ourselves about our haiku.

‘til next time, keep dreaming,

Roswila

[aka: Patricia Kelly]

****If you wish to copy or use any of my writing or poems, please email me for permission (under “View my complete profile”)****My other blogs ROSWILA’S TAROT GALLERY & JOURNAL and ROSWILA’S TAIGA TAROT.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home