Roswila's Dream & Poetry Realm

SEE ALSO: TRYING TO HOLD A BOX OF LIGHT (photos, realistic to abstract)

Tuesday, December 10, 2019

CLEARING A PATH (photomorph) & ON APPROACHING MY 76th BIRTHDAY (non-dream free verse poem) by Roswila


ON APPROACHING MY 76th BIRTHDAY

a tall, lidded garbage can and my old, rebuilt
vacuum stand (the first full, and the second
ready but for a dust cup emptying) like two
old friends, well, not friends, more like hoary
acquaintances who’d rather not be left together
like this, in a corner of my bedroom

so, this is what my life’s come down to, all I
have to look forward to on waking: coping with
chores that threaten to overwhelm my arthritic
joints and vertiginous mind, not to mention my
empty soul, that like a garbage can or vacuum
is now only a way station for remainders, for
broken bits and pieces, and the constantly
collecting lint of an unraveling life


[non-dream free verse poem written 12-10-19. My apologies for the self-pity in this, but it is where I’m at way too often these days. The poem was the result of feeling really nauseous and sitting down hurriedly on my bed before even attempting to make it. When I finally raised my head the first things I saw were the garbage can and vacuum. And I groaned. Hell, I’d just had to sit before even making my bed! More chores to be done?! So, I grabbed for the note pad I keep next to my bed (for dreams and anything else I don’t want to forget before morning) and began scribbling. As I did, I realized I’d not used this as a poem-producing trick in a long time: look around a space I’m in and pick an actual object to describe and see where it takes me. Not surprised these two old acquaintances took me down the path to self-pity. And it’s hours later as I keyboard all this. I’m feeling no better and don’t have much hope of improving. BTW, my 76th b’day is in less than a month. Photomorph “Clearing a Path” (7-5-09 3229e.v2d[3]) by Roswila]

PLEASE NOTE: in most browsers you can click on the above image for a larger version. Also, the photo accompanying a post is not necessarily meant to illustrate it, but to reflect some small, even slant or contrasting aspect of the verse, similar to Japanese haiga (illustrated haiku).

There are many other sorts of posts on this blog. I indicate which are about or influenced by dreams. Some non dream focused posts are book reviews, "regular" poems (some by other writers), scifaiku, writing exercises, Tarot haiku, photos, haiga, and so on. However, most of those are in much older posts. There's a listing by month going back to early 2006, at the end of the sidebar.

* * * *
until next time, keep dreaming,





[a/k/a Patricia Kelly]
**** If you wish to copy or use any of my writing or poems, please email me for permission (under “View my complete profile”). Roswila's other blog (dedicated to her photos only, i.e. no poetry or other writing; daily post); TRYING TO HOLD A BOX OF LIGHT.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home