Roswila's Dream & Poetry Realm

SEE ALSO: TRYING TO HOLD A BOX OF LIGHT (photos, realistic to abstract)

Friday, April 21, 2017

EDGES (photo) & THE BREWING STORM (free verse poem on a dream) by Roswila


THE BREWING STORM

a storm's brewing!
one doesn't need to have heard
the weather report to know this,
the smell in the air,
the slight heightening of the light,
the mild tickling of anxiety:
when will it burst upon us?

I hurry to the ocean edge
of the dock to watch its arrival
from over the sea, a friend
trailing behind me

waves build, bit by bit, enough
that I wonder if this newest
swell will wind up showering
the dock and all of us watchers

my friend laughs lightly, how
silly (she says) we know we're
going to get hosed, maybe even
washed right off the dock,
and yet here we stand

I nod "yes" not even taking
my eyes off the ocean surface
as this newest wave continues
its forward swell, a darkening arm
of aqua frosted with the fading
sunlight along it's growing curl,
as the electric pre-storm touch
of the air briefly crackles
through my long pony tail

and I respond to my friend
with a wistful sigh, that getting
dunked would be a very small price
to pay indeed, to be swept out of our
dry, safe selves, into an unpredictable
ride through the wild and passionate
oceanic world; can't you hear
it calling? (I quickly add) as if the sea
were being churned up by both mermen
and mermaids alike, singing the praises
of the dark and the deep


[free verse poem on a dream of 4-19-17. On waking to the memory of this dream I took it as a warning some sort of new emotional storm is on the way for me. (Sheesh! It's not as if I haven't been living in a huge storm already for over 9 months now...) And it sure does seem to be well on the way. It's taking its good time fully getting here, but phew! My biggest struggle will probably be just to accept whatever goes under in the storm, and a lot does seem to be getting shaken up and loose already. Probably all for the best. I hasten to add that, at another level, there's also a definite wishful calling of this storm to me, and I'll leave it at that. :-) Photo "Edges" (4-19-17 017v2) by Roswila]

PLEASE NOTE: in most browsers you can click on the above image for a larger version. Also, the photo accompanying a post is not necessarily meant to illustrate it, but to reflect some small, even slant aspect of the verse, similar to Japanese haiga (illustrated haiku).

There are many other sorts of posts on this blog. I indicate which are about or influenced by dreams. Some non dream focused posts are book reviews, "regular" poems (some by other writers), scifaiku, writing exercises, Tarot haiku, photos, haiga, and so on. However, most of those are in much older posts. There's a listing by month going back to early 2006, at the end of the sidebar.

* * * *
until next time, keep dreaming,






[a/k/a Patricia Kelly]
**** If you wish to copy or use any of my writing or poems, please email me for permission (under “View my complete profile”). Roswila's other blog (dedicated to her photos only, i.e. no poetry or other writing; daily post)
; TRYING TO HOLD A BOX OF LIGHT.

2 Comments:

At 2:38 PM , Blogger LGD said...

Terrific descriptive poem on the surface, before we even get to the subtext. Wave and undertow :)

 
At 2:59 PM , Blogger Roswila said...

Thanks for this comment, it supports something I've been feeling urged to do more and more. More clear description of the scene itself. Glad you liked this one, LGD. (It's always a happy moment to see a message from you.) The storm's arrived, BTW. And I just got thoroughly soaked. If that dream friend were with me now I'd ask her if we're having fun yet, 'cuz I sure ain't havin' any so far. :-(

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home