Roswila's Dream & Poetry Realm

SEE ALSO: TRYING TO HOLD A BOX OF LIGHT (photos, realistic to abstract)

Saturday, February 20, 2016

GREEN GROTTO (photomorph) & THE GREENING GRAVE (non-dream free verse poem) by Roswila


THE GREENING GRAVE

oh, drag me, drag me, if you must
by my long white braid
but make me stand
by music's greening grave
in that meadow of long ago


for there across the cold blue sea
sleeps a lifetime of lyric memories
waiting only for a voice
to spread their songs

oh, drag me, drag me, if you must
by my long white braid
but make me stand
by music's greening grave
in that meadow of long ago


I'll fuss and fight but don't let go
until I face the music I must sing
that crowds the heart of that ancient
shimmering meadow

oh, drag me, drag me, if you must
by my long white braid
but make me stand
by music's greening grave
in that meadow of long ago



[non-dream free verse poem written 2-19-16. This was inspired -- nay, impelled -- by a folk music performance I saw last night (UCSB Folk Ensemble). I have felt a strong tug for some time now to express myself musically more than I have been (both in words and voice). I was frequently asked in my earliest years of writing if I wrote songs due to my style back then. And I tend not to sing now (which I did rather readily back then) unless in a sing along group, given the top to my soprano has flown with the years. (Though I do a lot of singing to myself. I'm much braver then, as I can mess around to find the pitch that will let me make the high notes. Smile.) I have over the years written a couple of chants. There's also a repeated refrain in a long poem of mine that I developed a tune for. That I do sing when I read the poem in one of our Talent Shows, as I do the chants. But these have always felt like just a minuscule portion of the music inside. I hasten to add, however, that the music in "The Greening Grave" is for me even more than actual music a many layered metaphor, with echoes all the way through the physical, to the psychological, to the interpersonal, to family history, to the spiritual. Phew! What a lot stands behind this little piece of doggerel verse. Oh, and I should add that I can feel a tune turning around inside for the repeated refrain in "The Greening Grave." Photomorph "Green Grotto" (12-8-15 002v3h) by Roswila]

PLEASE NOTE: in most browsers you can click on the above image for a larger version. Also, the photo accompanying a post is not necessarily meant to illustrate it, but to reflect some small, even slant aspect of the verse, similar to Japanese haiga (illustrated haiku).

There are many other sorts of posts on this blog. I indicate which are about or influenced by dreams. Some non dream focused posts are book reviews, "regular" poems (some by other writers, as the above is), scifaiku, writing exercises, Tarot haiku, photos, haiga, and so on. However, most of those are in much older posts. There's a listing by month going back to early 2006, at the end of the sidebar.

* * * *
until next time, keep dreaming,





[a/k/a Patricia Kelly]
**** If you wish to copy or use any of my writing or poems, please email me for permission (under “View my complete profile”). Roswila's other blogs: ROSWILA'S TAROT GALLERY & JOURNAL; ROSWILA'S TAIGA TAROT; TRYING TO HOLD A BOX OF LIGHT; and THE MARKER TAROT.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home