Roswila's Dream & Poetry Realm

SEE ALSO: TRYING TO HOLD A BOX OF LIGHT (photos, realistic to abstract)

Friday, November 15, 2019

SOLITARY DINING (photo) & LICKETY-SPLIT (free verse dream poem) by Roswila


LICKETY-SPLIT

“Happy talk keep talkin’ happy talk,
talk about things you like to do,
you’ve gotta have a dream,
if you don’t have a dream
how you gonna have a dream come true”…
so, this is the answer I get from my dreams
when I yell to them for “H-E-L-P!!”?
and sung in your voice, no less?
of all the men my dreams could’ve chosen
it had to be you, that dear man I crushed on,
all those years ago, who’d often laugh lightly
as we’d spend some precious
and rare time together,
and say “You are so gullible!”
sheesh!
just how was I to take that back then,
just as now:
is what you or my dream said true?
does my hunger lead me to swallow whole
what I shouldn’t, am I fully at the mercy
of what I hear?
or should I (as has often been my inclination
anyway, and my sorrow and pain
when I don’t follow that tug)
remember I should take everything
with a grain of salt,
and like some malnourished deer
return lickety-split to that salt-lick
deep in the woods of my instincts


[free verse poem on a dream of 11-13-19. This was an actual man out of my long ago … I almost typed “youth,” but it would be more accurate to say “ early middle-age.” BTW, he did call me gullible often enough. The song lyrics are from “Happy Talk,” from the musical South Pacific. I don’t have the time to go into all the associations I have to that song/show. Suffice it to say, they bring up a host of additional “messages” in this dream. However, for the purposes of this dream poem, I’ve chosen to go with the “message” triggered for me by the contrast between the song lyrics and the man. Photo “Eating Alone” (7-7-09 3436e) by Roswila]

PLEASE NOTE: in most browsers you can click on the above image for a larger version. Also, the photo accompanying a post is not necessarily meant to illustrate it, but to reflect some small, even slant or contrasting aspect of the verse, similar to Japanese haiga (illustrated haiku).

There are many other sorts of posts on this blog. I indicate which are about or influenced by dreams. Some non dream focused posts are book reviews, "regular" poems (some by other writers), scifaiku, writing exercises, Tarot haiku, photos, haiga, and so on. However, most of those are in much older posts. There's a listing by month going back to early 2006, at the end of the sidebar.

* * * *
until next time, keep dreaming,





[a/k/a Patricia Kelly]
**** If you wish to copy or use any of my writing or poems, please email me for permission (under “View my complete profile”). Roswila's other blog (dedicated to her photos only, i.e. no poetry or other writing; daily post); TRYING TO HOLD A BOX OF LIGHT.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home