Roswila's Dream & Poetry Realm

SEE ALSO: TRYING TO HOLD A BOX OF LIGHT (photos, realistic to abstract)

Thursday, November 03, 2016

SEEKING COMPANY (photo) & STROLLING WITH A STAR TREK CAPTAIN (free verse dream poem) by Roswila


STROLLING WITH A STAR TREK CAPTAIN

I can't believe it! I'm actually strolling
with Scott Bakula,* one of my favorite
Star Trek captains, I think,
and quickly tell him so, doing my best
to keep up with his healthy stride

well then, I comment abashedly
to myself, I must admit I thought
nobody'd ever beat out Shatner
or Stewart,** but now that I've met
Scott in person, his incredible physical
presence has rocketed him in one
hot flash to the top of my Trek
Captain's List

when we sit next to each other for a rest
(probably to accommodate me, I think,
wishing this were not true, that I were
young and hale and hearty again)
I lean in close to chat and watch
the silent dawning of his awareness
of my attraction to him turn sad
as he backs away minutely,
omigosh! I recall to myself,
I'd forgotten he's married and I, too,
make a subtle withdrawal

no, no more unavailable men for me!
no more circling a man at a remove,
caught like a small planet in a sun's
massive gravitational pull,
the distance between
as cold and empty
as outer space


[free verse poem on a dream of 11-1-17. *Captain Jonathan Archer on the old Star Trek T.V. series. **William Shatner and Patrick Stewart also played Captain's on Star Trek, of which I was a great fan. I've posted many Shatner (Captain James Tiberius Kirk) dream haiku here over the years. BTW, marriage here is a metaphor for the many ways a man can be "unavailable." I also think it rather telling that a couple days ago I posted a dream poem ("The Big Chew," 11-1-16) about being in an abusive relationship. As if those have been my alternatives: accept/rationalize abuse, or have nothing. There's much more to this, but I'll leave it at that. Photo "Seeking Company" (10-30-16 010v2a) by Roswila]

PLEASE NOTE: in most browsers you can click on the above image for a larger version. Also, the photo accompanying a post is not necessarily meant to illustrate it, but to reflect some small, even slant aspect of the verse, similar to Japanese haiga (illustrated haiku).

There are many other sorts of posts on this blog. I indicate which are about or influenced by dreams. Some non dream focused posts are book reviews, "regular" poems (some by other writers), scifaiku, writing exercises, Tarot haiku, photos, haiga, and so on. However, most of those are in much older posts. There's a listing by month going back to early 2006, at the end of the sidebar.

* * * *
until next time, keep dreaming,





[a/k/a Patricia Kelly]
**** If you wish to copy or use any of my writing or poems, please email me for permission (under “View my complete profile”). Roswila's other blog (dedicated to her photos only, i.e. no poetry or other writing; daily post)
; TRYING TO HOLD A BOX OF LIGHT.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home