Roswila's Dream & Poetry Realm

SEE ALSO: TRYING TO HOLD A BOX OF LIGHT (photos, realistic to abstract)

Sunday, February 22, 2015

A NEW TWIST (photomorph) & LANDSCAPING (free verse poem) by Roswila


LANDSCAPING

do we retrieve a memory intact
from storage, at most slightly
wrinkled or dusty, or maybe
browning at the edges
like an ancient family photo

or does the energy of recall
flood the river bed, cut by
experience and left high
and dry by the passage of time,
sculpting new meanderings

the debris of older turnings
left behind like seeds on its banks,
and the sun of remembering slowly
drawing out a new landscape


[Free verse poem written 2-22-15. Though not directly dream-based, I suspect forgotten dreaming heavily influenced it, as I woke this morning already writing it in my mind. Already fussing at the question of whether memories are true/accurate. And also whether remembering and even perception of the present moment might be more like dreaming: an art. Not static but an on-going creative process. Not that it's a new idea that simply by remembering we change the memory in some way. I just haven't ever fully explored the implications of this. Largely, I suppose, because I am rather attached to what I understand to be what I remember. (LOL, this all gets very difficult to express the more I think about it.) I also keep recalling that expression "You can't step into the same river twice." Photomorph "A New Twist" (8259ev5c) by Roswila]

PLEASE NOTE: in most browsers you can click on the above image for a larger version. Also, the photo accompanying a post is not necessarily meant to illustrate it, but to reflect some small, even slant aspect of the verse, similar to Japanese haiga (illustrated haiku).

There are many other sorts of posts on this blog. I indicate which are about or influenced by dreams. Some non dream focused posts are book reviews, "regular" poems (some by other writers, as the above is), scifaiku, writing exercises, Tarot haiku, photos, haiga, and so on. However, most of those are in much older posts. There's a listing by month going back to early 2006, at the end of the sidebar.

* * * *
until next time, keep dreaming,






[a/k/a Patricia Kelly]
**** If you wish to copy or use any of my writing or poems, please email me for permission (under “View my complete profile”). Roswila's connections & other blogs: Charter Member of the United Haiku and Tanka Society (UHTS); ROSWILA'S TAROT GALLERY & JOURNAL; ROSWILA'S TAIGA TAROT; and TRYING TO HOLD A BOX OF LIGHT.

3 Comments:

At 7:43 PM , Blogger LGD said...

I know I am constantly being told that some of my very own vivid memories are things I invented. Not that they never happened, but they didn't happen quite the way I vividly remember them. And I have caught others doing the same thing to their memories :)

 
At 2:15 PM , Blogger Roswila said...

Yes, me too. And even the smallest or subtlest changes in anything (memory, photo, poem, etc.) can make for big differences in its implications. And also how we connect (or don't connect) up with other things. The more I think on this, the more I verge on being astounded by how we ever manage to maintain a sense of identity. Maybe continuity is a different brain function from memory? (Did that make sense?) Like the stitches as opposed to the pieces of the garment? (Have I gone wonky here like one of my too heavily edited pix? :-D)

 
At 2:22 PM , Blogger Roswila said...

P.S. I just remembered there is a part of our brain called the left brain interpreter. Its sole function (if I remember correctly :-D) is to make some sort of comprehensible stories out of the masses of information flooding our brain at any particular point. I've often wondered if that isn't what takes our random sleeping brain firings and makes them into stories, i.e. dreams. Anyway, maybe it's what creates a sense of continuity, of identity? Our own story of who we are?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home