Roswila's Dream & Poetry Realm

SEE ALSO: TRYING TO HOLD A BOX OF LIGHT (photos, realistic to abstract)

Tuesday, August 13, 2019

THICKET (photomorph by Roswila) & "when will it become..." (non-dream haiku by Issa)


when will it become
a cricket's nest?
my white hair


by Issa, 1808

.こほろぎの巣にはいつなる我白髪 [above poem in Kana];
kôrogi no su [ni] wa itsu naru waga shiraga
[above poem in Romanji]

[haiku by the prolific Japanese Haijin, Issa; from the daily email of one of Issa’s haiku from Haiku Guy. This is an example of what is known as a death poem. I.e., about death or (more commonly, in my reading experience) one said to have been written when the author was close to dying. The email this one came in had a note that (in his opinion, with which I agree) this is “one” of Issa’s best death poems. So, that word “one” indicates this was probably not written at the edge of dying, but on the subject thereof. A minor quibble, if any quibble at all. And it doesn’t affect the deep impact this haiku has on me. I only go into this distinction because the idea of writing a haiku as one is dying has always moved me tremendously. And I’ve read many “edge of death” haiku by Japanese Masters over the years. (Of course, I hasten to add, in translation. I often wonder what might get lost there.) Forgot to mention, when I opened this email, my long white hair was still wet and wrapped up in a tangle in a towel. 😊 Yikes! As I’ve noted here before, my comments after the smallest poems often go on the longest. Photomorph “Thicket” (Screenshots-many 1-25-19[44]) by Roswila]

PLEASE NOTE: in most browsers you can click on the above image for a larger version. Also, the photo accompanying a post is not necessarily meant to illustrate it, but to reflect some small, even slant aspect of the verse, similar to Japanese haiga (illustrated haiku).

There are many other sorts of posts on this blog. I indicate which are about or influenced by dreams. Some non dream focused posts are book reviews, "regular" poems (some by other writers), scifaiku, writing exercises, Tarot haiku, photos, haiga, and so on. However, most of those are in much older posts. There's a listing by month going back to early 2006, at the end of the sidebar.

* * * *
until next time, keep dreaming,





[a/k/a Patricia Kelly]
**** If you wish to copy or use any of my writing or poems, please email me for permission (under “View my complete profile”). Roswila's other blog (dedicated to her photos only, i.e. no poetry or other writing; daily post); TRYING TO HOLD A BOX OF LIGHT.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home