Roswila's Dream & Poetry Realm

SEE ALSO: TRYING TO HOLD A BOX OF LIGHT (photos, realistic to abstract)

Tuesday, August 03, 2010

ALL DAILY DREAMKU & DIGITAL PIX FOR MONTH OF JULY 2010

Haven’t a clue what to say about this month’s motley crew of ‘ku and pix. Maybe that’s for the best as the ‘kus and pix themselves say more than enough. I think about the only additional comment I care to make is that I’ve only recently realized I had an expectation about this end of life. An expectation I was totally unaware of: that I’d be a bit more settled within and accepting of myself.

ALL DAILY DREAMKU, DREAM TANKA, AND PHOTOS BY ROSWILA POSTED IN JULY 2010

[PLEASE NOTE that in most browsers you can click on the image for a larger version.]



MISTAKEN

a conversation
with Angelina Jolie
from the sun-washed wharf
we look out at the ocean
she listens patiently

I work toward the point
I’m making from different
angles and levels
surprise rises as I hear
what I’m actually saying

mistaken: rigidity for fidelity

[two tanka and a monoku on a dream of 6-29-10. Image by Roswila]



July 2, 2010


DREAMING INTERRUPTUS

cross country train ride
we nap next to each other
companionably

on waking, he asks
in a little boy’s voice
for an embrace
to my surprise I hug him
and stay cuddled for a while

then I remember
I haven’t seen my walking stick
searching the dark train
for my treasured bamboo
help-mate that’s also a flute

a train worker assures it’s not been lost my doubt

I hobble to my seat
my companion complains
he’s got a migraine

I point out a bee
on the white plaster ceiling
large and agitated

he glances at it
then looks away unconcerned
grease spot under it

now over my head
I see it’s shadow, not grease
the angry buzzing’s
way too close for comfort
I grab a can of hair spray ....

buzzing ... ringing ... cell phone! ... I wake up

[series of dreamku, tanka, and monoku on a dream of 7-1-10. Hm, just found this in an article by Aisling Ireland on “BelaOnline” – Bees work in complete cooperation, communicating with each other so that their hive remains intact and productive. Bees in a dream may indicate a need for communication either with a group or with a significant other. Well, I got told, didn’t I? I also read some other web site info on the symbolism of bees and was struck with what a mixed symbol a bee is; powerful, rich and universal but quite varied. From something to be admired and revered, to something that can sting (as my fear in the dream highlights). I’d forgotten they can also symbolize sexuality, which is intriguing given the title I chose for this dreamku series. And aren’t we all a mix of delight and pain, cooperation and “Queen Bees”? Image by Roswila]



July 3, 2010


[No dream recall. This photo I'm calling "I Want to Hold Your Hand." It's another example of how the camera "sees" things I only see once the photo is on my computer and sometimes even then not until I've cropped it. Like this one. I hadn't noted these flowers were entangled until I cropped away a bunch of unlovely stuff around them. Image by Roswila]



July 4, 2010


IN MEMORY OF CHUCK BELL

news of his death startles
sadness seeps through everything
here and there happy
memories of him brighten
like starlight on a dark sea

[Tanka in memory of a fellow resident who died yesterday. From the middle of the sadness all these delightful memories of interactions kept coming up. Not a one that wasn't pleasant. I'll treasure the memories, including those of his handsome smile, and his colorful print shirts. Image by Roswila]



July 5, 2010


[Some vague dream recall, but even less urge to write anything, so just a brand new photo taken two days ago (many I post here are old). Love this color, is it called salmon pink? There are two blooms, one on top of the other, on this cactus. They're a delightful change from all those stop-light red ones. Although I sort of like the back-lighting in this photo, I hope to take pix of them at some other time of the day before they're totally over and catch those centers in better detail. Image by Roswila]



July 6, 2010


[No dreamku for today. I initially cropped this photo all around so that only the bloom itself filled a square. Then I happened to glimpse the original, uncropped version. I decided I like the contrast between the bloom's brilliant color and the softer earth tones surrounding it, and also between the organization of the bloom's petals and stamens, and the confusion it stands out from. So I reverted to the original version. Image "Beauty from Ruins" by Roswila]



July 7, 2010


[No dreamku for today. Here's another of my favorite views on the grounds of the retirement community where I live. I enjoy how different times of day in different weather offer up different patterns. Image by Roswila]



July 8, 2010


WALKING ON AIR

afraid to solo
she sings along happily
in the quartet
their performance closely watched
by teachers and friends alike

applause encourages
she moves out of the quartet
into the spotlight
singing out full and high
she takes on a solo part

she steps up onto
the air of the stadium
apparently sans
support as she entertains
under the star-filled sky

the invisible
lines she walks along shimmer
in my intuition
a supporting web only
stage-hands and she know about

should she mis-step
these glistening lines only
very few see
will wrap quickly around her
an aerial safety net

[tanka series on a dream of 7-8-10. Image by Roswila]



July 9, 2010


[This runner is from a type of bulb called a sea onion. The tiny buds on the runners are neatly green and white striped, and open into sort of star-shaped mostly white flowers. There will probably be many more buds in a row on this runner before it's finished blooming. The bulbs are quite a bit larger than even big white onions, and are bright green with large bumps on them. The long narrow leaves are glossy bright green. I call this photo "Leaving Eden." Image by Roswila]



July 10, 2010


[I actually had some dream recall but my attention got hijacked by an idea for offering a poetry workshop. And now after making notes of my thoughts on what a poetry class/workshop might look like, the dreams have flown. So here's a photo. It was taken almost a year go on Stearn's Wharf in Santa Barbara. The curved thing in the lower middle is what I take to be a device to keep gulls off the roof -- it moves around unpredictably in any wind. However, here's a shot of a gull sitting serenely right by it. And to me the device looks as if it's fishing for something. Of course, I could be wrong about its purpose. Image by Roswila]



July 11, 2010


THE DINNER PARTY

they leave me in charge
of setting up and serving
just two dinner rolls
and two cups of orange juice
for the large dinner party

their lack of concern
I water down the o.j.
slices of white bread
instead of warm dinner rolls
get their unconcerned OK

a young vine obstructs
the dining room entrance way
I must duck under
to keep from injuring it
they still could not care less

[tanka series on a dream of 7-10-10. I have to admit I’ve had a hard time concentrating on this dreamku, so I gave up and chose the title. Then a host of associations and memories came up around Judy Chicago’s “The Dinner Party.” Won’t go on about them all, except to say that I have begun working on a big -- at least for me -- exhibit of my photos. So this dream clearly addresses fears and conflicts around that specifically, as well as any sharing of my creative efforts in general. Image by Roswila]



July 12, 2010


DISCONSOLATE

I ask the Buddhist
if he’s saved me a seat
audience back rows

although I, too,
have written what was required
no seat’s marked for me
I search disconsolately
through the last two rows

[a dreamku and tanka on a dream of 7-11-10. Image by Roswila]


July 13, 2010


APE AND REACT

artist’s room
“ape and react” he says as
he chooses colors

his selection is
instant: the three primaries
balls of dark wool
absorb the colors as I
paint on them in layers

only the light blue
winds up being visible
soggy ball of wool

[two dreamku and a tanka on dream of 7-12-10. Image by Roswila]



July 14, 2010


TABOO

we’re a small
motley crew on the lam
two adults and I
with a calico kitten
who’s adopted us for now

we each find a bed
or sofa to sleep on
overnight rest stop

I wake in the night
to an unbearable sound
the kitten’s in pain
pieces of glass it’s swallowed
are giving it agony

I try to call out
to the adult man asleep
somewhere in the room
barely a croak emerges
as I keep trying to yell

the dark-haired woman
sleeping on a bedside chair
wakes and turns toward me
“The kitten’s suffering...”
I force out in a whisper

“I can’t bear it,
it should be put to sleep,
the man can do it”
my panicky words slowly
seep into the muffling night


[tanka series with one dreamku on a dream of 7-13-10. Image by Roswila]



July 15, 2010



a success of sorts
"We're born here
only to come close"

[old dreamku on a dream of 10-13-06. Image by Roswila]



July 16, 2010


SUNSET

sunset on the wharf
the city skyline slowly
becomes breathtaking

my ailing friend lies abed
in the wharf’s gathering peace
she welcomes me in
when I ask to curl up
companionably with her

we’re faced the wrong way
to view the river and skyline
she tells me about
her recovering homeless son
and the stray dog he’s adopted

my silent worry:
should something happen to him
the dog’s now learned
to be dependent – could it
survive as a stray again

beyond my friend’s head
I glimpse starlight on the river
asking as I crane
to fully view the beauty
if she’s able to twist, too

we decide to turn
flopping like large beached fish,
facing the skyline
at last, we watch the river
play with light from long gone stars

[one dreamku and a tanka series on a dream of 7-15-10. Image by Roswila]



July 17, 2010


empty tea cup
and a fading blue moon
nothing wanting

[regular haiku, i.e. not a dreamku or dream-based, written in the early 1990's and revised today. Image by Roswila]



July 18, 2010


DISMAYING

are our clothes stored here?
I ask my travel buddy;
balancing between
cars of the moving train we
ponder how to retrieve them

my friend responds that
the woman handling storage
won’t give us back our
office clothing until
the train enters the station

there’ll be no time then
to dress for our interviews;
mutual dismay
as the lurching train begins
slowing down to make its stop

[tanka series on a dream of 7-18-10. Image by Roswila]



July 19, 2010


RIDING PEGASUS

the Pegasus lifts
up into the courtyard air
slow steady circling

I can’t really see
if it’s mechanical or
a living horse
translucent material
thoroughly drapes it

a hovering view
from above its broad back
proves to me it lives
I gape as I’m lowered
to ride this flying horse

how did I get here
and where are we going
my thighs warm gently

[a dreamku and tanka series on a dream of 7-18-10. I should note that Pegasus has had special meaning to me since childhood, given my love of horses. Then, from 1996 to 2002 I had a dream-themed website with a huge collection of dream themed poetry, art, and articles, all mostly by other people, called “Pegasus Dreaming.” I’ve not really “taken flight” like that creatively since. Image by Roswila, taken from a balcony of the retirement community where I live.]



July 20, 2010


BONDAGE

the children’s family
finally recognizes
the threat presenting:
part animal dream characters
are bonding with their kids

the leader of these
other worldly beings is more
lion than human
I, a tall dark human male,
warn the kids’ dad about it

their father’s stubborn
he won’t see that banning his son
from the dream world will
only bring the lion here
to further control the kids

I don’t know how to
safely separate the kids
from the dream beings
I only know banishment
makes an even stronger bond

[tanka series on a dream of 7-20-10. Image: The Strength card in the Rider/Waite/Smith Tarot deck]



July 21, 2010


moonlit city housing
we seek out previous
basement explosions

[a dreamku on a dream of 7-20-10. Image by Roswila; this is not a favorite of mine technically but I like the feel of it for this dreamku]



July 22, 2010


IN THE DEPTHS

battle on the sea
our passenger vehicle
gets sunk to the depths

short supply of air
he stumbles to the radio
by lethargic bodies

message received:
rescue’s been organized
and we’ve been spotted

I request a dance
of relief despite the fact
we are naked
modesty being the first
casualty in all the heat

he hums sweetly off key
as we embrace in a slow
awkward fox trot
I had never liked this man
and now I wonder why

[three dreamku and two tanka on a dream of 7-20-10. Image by Roswila]



July 23, 2010


[No time to write today or dig for something older to post. Image by Roswila]



July 24, 2010


[Haven't made a decision quite yet, but I may be taking a break all together from making these daily posts. In the meantime, I will be putting up a photo each day. Image by Roswila]



July 25, 2010


the baby’s brow
is obviously Klingon
unfaithful

[old dreamku on a dream of 5-29-06. Image: "The Martians Have Landed!" by Roswila]



July 26, 2010


DOCUMENTARY

a jungle visit
I film two doctors helping
a sick animal

the long return trip
by laden pack animals
narrow mountain roads

“Are all your patients
as far away as this was?”
my scripted question

“Each trip’s difficult –
distant or inaccessible...”
casual reply

the woman doctor
gives her small over-packed horse
its head and sits back
she smiles and watches sun-filled
jungle greenery pass by

[four dreamku and a tanka on a dream of 7-26-10. Image by Roswila]



July 27, 2010


UNSEEN

my long estranged friend
does not recognize me
I know her though she wears
a well-tailored man’s suit
and has a short new hair cut

again I call her name
she turns to look but still
doesn’t see who I am

[a tanka and a dreamku on a dream of 7-25-10. Image by Roswila]



July 28, 2010


SPIN CITY

first there’s President
George W. Bush in the room
hotel convention

then across the aisle
I see my friend Bill Clinton
waves and winks exchanged

George W’s boring
I search the crowded hotel
for Bill Clinton

I climb a staircase
on to an open air porch
candle lights and stars

Bill calls me over
I’m in Michael J. Fox’s
young healthy body

feeling odd at first
I have quick fun sex with Bill
lazy afterglow

Bill says he’s also
looking forward to my large
soft female body
making love to it must be
very sensual

[dreamku series topped by a tanka on a dream of 7-26-10. The title is the actual name of an old T.V. sitcom that Michael J. Fox starred in; his character's job being to protectively “spin” the public image of his handsome, somewhat dim witted mayoral boss. One of my questions here is: Who’s spinning whom and to what end? Image by Roswila]



July 29, 2010


I have to walk between two rows of men to my execution. It’s like doing the stroll, that actual 1950's group dance. The men are all catholic church clerics like bishops and cardinals, and all are dressed in red and white, mostly white with red trim:

summer solstice strolling toward death


[a very old dream haibun (prose followed by a dream haiku; recently revised into a dream monoku) on a dream of 6-21-01. The stroll was done in two parallel lines (women on one side, men on the other). A simple sort of languid step-pattern is performed so that the line moves one pace in the same direction with each pattern. Individuals -- one from the head of each line -- pair up and perform a "shine" routine "strolling" back down between the two lines. At the end, they separate and join the end of their individual lines. Image by Roswila]



July 30, 2010


the pawned figurine
of a woman and kestrel
shelved soul

[old dreamku on an old dream of 8-1-06. Image: "Ode to a Grecian What?" by Roswila]



July 31, 2010


FENCE SITTING

looming starless sky
my father tells me I need
to carry water

I respond softly
that I’ve packed a bottle
for my long night walk
I sit on a wobbly fence
and fall over backwards

askew thin nightgown
does the moon laugh with me
as pick myself up

[two dreamku and a tanka on a dream of 7-31-10. Again I see how helpful writing a title can be. It wasn’t until FENCE SITTING popped into my mind that I heard that possible message about my intention to return to “hermitude.” I’d not ever thought of my having chosen to be an “urban hermit” (back in New York city the last 10 years or so I lived there) as a way of sitting on the fence. Image by Roswila]


* * * *

‘til next time, keep dreaming,





**** [aka: Patricia Kelly] **** If you wish to copy or use any of my writing or poems, please email me for permission (under “View my complete profile”)****My other blogs: ROSWILA’S TAROT GALLERY & JOURNAL and ROSWILA’S TAIGA TAROT, and Yahoo DREAMJIN: Group for Dreamku – Haiku-Like Dream Poems
****

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home