Roswila's Dream & Poetry Realm

SEE ALSO: TRYING TO HOLD A BOX OF LIGHT (photos, realistic to abstract)

Wednesday, February 04, 2009

A MURDER OF CROWS (edited), haiga by Patricia Kelly


I just received news that one of several of my monoku (one line haiku, like the one on the photo above) has been accepted for publication. The monoku above is one that was not accepted, though it was a close second to the one they've taken. (More on the one they are publishing when it has actually appeared. :-D)

I'm particularly fond of the subject of this monoku because of my intense relationship with the moon, especially its gibbous waxing phase (the week before full). I've read somewhere in astrological literature that the phase of the moon under which we were born often has a special effect on us. In my case, waxing gibbous moons always make me more tense and cranky, and even more weird than I already am. A certain tendency to want to howl surfaces and if not actually howling, I may do more than my usual share of whining (and I'm only partly joking here). It was a boss of mine decades ago who noted this particular cyclical change in my personality and I've always been grateful she pin-pointed its source so I at least know what's going on. Even if I can't do much about it. Fortunately, the intensity has waned over the years as has the duration. I used to suffer this "lunacy" for as much as 10 days before a full moon and now at most it's a week and usually only 3 or 4 days. Even so, my boyfriend put an alert on his computer called "PMS" -- pre-moon syndrome -- and he tells me when it pops up that he's going fishing (i.e. leaving town). LOL!

The scene that inspired this monoku was also intense. I looked out the window of the above boyfriend's office because I was hearing so much crow "music," just in time to see a huge murder fly up and past the face of the low-in-the-sky gibbous day moon. What a sight! I found plenty of crows and moon pictures I could have used for this haiga, but I like leaving the crows to the reader's imagination (maybe suggested by the black font).

* * * *

‘til next time, keep dreaming,





**** [aka: Patricia Kelly] **** If you wish to copy or use any of my writing or poems, please email me for permission (under “View my complete profile”)****My other blogs: ROSWILA’S TAROT GALLERY & JOURNAL and ROSWILA’S TAIGA TAROT, and Yahoo DREAMJIN: Group for Dreamku – Haiku-Like Dream Poems ****

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 4:41 PM , Blogger myonlyphoto said...

I do to have special relationship with the moon, been photographing for 2 years now, and may be over 33 years looking at it. I get affected too, I used to walk like crazy during the full moon, and sometimes when I get shine of the full moon on my head at night, I wake up with the most terrible nightmares ever. But then other times I enjoy this brigh object in the night sky. Anna :)

 
At 8:36 PM , Blogger Roswila said...

Hi Anna,

What an adorable baby!

Yes, the moon really can have its effect, can't it? Well, if it can control the sea's tides, why not us in some way?

And, me, too. I love the moon in all it phases -- even the gibbous. :-) I may put up some of the digital photos I took of the Wolf Moon in early January (the largest full moon in a year). They don't do it justice, but it sure was fun gathering with neighbors to "ooh and ahh" over it.

Thanks for visiting.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home