Roswila's Dream & Poetry Realm

SEE ALSO: TRYING TO HOLD A BOX OF LIGHT (photos, realistic to abstract)

Thursday, May 18, 2006

Friends, A Poem


[photo: Webshots.com]


I've been thinking a lot about friendships. My life and relationships have been changing dramatically over the past couple of years as I've moved into retirement. I was put in mind of this particular old poem of mine on friendship by today's rainy spring weather:

Friends

The walk to the park is chilly.
I sit on a bench and open a book.
Hovering clouds and damp grass add
to an aching coldness
in my body and spirit.

As a distant motion erupts
into a huge black dog bounding
toward me, I am split between
old fears of snarling dogs
and the greeting of this obviously
friendly stranger.

He sits before me,
for all the world smiling,
offering first head, then hindquarters
for a patting, and curls down,
his back against my feet
as if we have always been friends.

And in truth we have,
for I am again reminded
that all we ever have is now.

I return to my reading, the furred
curve of his back warming
my feet like a dark sun.

He rises in an explosion of padding
feet and jingling neck chain, to bound
away as quickly as he came.

I reflexively cling to the notion
of his affection,
then let it go with a blessing,
while through the clouds,
as if summoned by his parting
dance, the sun stretches
sudden ephemeral fingers.


‘til next time, keep dreaming,

Roswila

[aka: Patricia Kelly]

****If you wish to copy or use any of my writing or poems, please email me for permission (under “View my complete profile”)****My other blog: ROSWILA’S TAROT GALLERY & JOURNAL.

1 Comments:

At 10:04 AM , Blogger Roswila said...

Thanks for visiting, Shanshad. I visited yours and you've compiled a lot of good advice for writers. Once I get my "blog roll" up yours will definitely be on it.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home