Roswila's Dream & Poetry Realm

SEE ALSO: TRYING TO HOLD A BOX OF LIGHT (photos, realistic to abstract)

Tuesday, January 21, 2014

THAT WON'T FLY (photo art) & "grounded in my earth-bound sign..." (non-dream free verse poem) by Roswila


grounded in my earth-bound sign
I stretch my soul to float along
the soaring wind your russet
flight diffuses

but illusion hurts and I
to solid form return

and leaning up I loose my brimming
threads of sight to touch the candle's
wings reflected in your eyes
that speak to me of flight
I fear I cannot take


[non-dream free verse poem written in 1974. This was published in a chapbook in 1975, with two other poems of mine from that same time period, by Bard Press. I recall this poem having a title with Icarus (he of the melted wax wings) in it, but can't find the exact title anywhere in my files. The Bard Press chapbook, that the publisher titled "Lilith," has all three poems of mine strung together as if they were one, without titles. (Which was an ingenious approach by the publisher, making connections I'd not been aware of.) In a way, though, not having the title now and that particular mythological reference to deal with freed me to further change how this poem appears. Written 40 years ago, I used lots of capital letters and some punctuation, very short lines, and left justified it. It fairly screamed "old fashioned!" at me this morning. But I think the short, choppy lines were the worst of it. All of which is a lot of fuss over a small, old, ordinary poem. Yet there's clearly something about it that draws me today to post it in this reorganized form. Probably just because it brings up memories of the years I would read it in poetry readings that both my brother, Russ, and I regularly attended. The brother (as I've noted here before) that just passed away. Photo art "That Won't Fly" (9-15-13 001v5) by Roswila]

PLEASE NOTE: in most browsers you can click on the above image for a larger version. Also, the photo accompanying a post is not necessarily meant to illustrate it, but to reflect some small, even slant aspect of the verse similar to Japanese haiga (illustrated haiku).

There are many other sorts of posts on this blog. I indicate which are about or influenced by dreams. Some non dream focused posts are book reviews, "regular" poems (some by other writers, as the above is), scifaiku, writing exercises, Tarot haiku, photos, haiga, and so on. However, most of those are in much older posts. There's a listing by month going back to early 2006, at the end of the sidebar.

* * * *
until next time, keep dreaming,






[aka: Patricia Kelly]
**** If you wish to copy or use any of my writing or poems, please email me for permission (under AView my complete profile@) **** My other blogs: ROSWILA'S TAROT GALLERY & JOURNAL; ROSWILA'S TAIGA TAROT; and TRYING TO HOLD A BOX OF LIGHT, digital photos. ****

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home