Roswila's Dream & Poetry Realm

SEE ALSO: TRYING TO HOLD A BOX OF LIGHT (photos, realistic to abstract)

Friday, June 28, 2013

THE MERMAID'S LAMENT (photo) & CHASING AFTER FAIRY DUST (free verse dream poem) by Roswila


CHASING AFTER FAIRY DUST

why is she after him again
she cannot understand the fuss
about his handsome face, and doesn't
even like him all that much

but here she is again attempting
to hook him with assistance,
while he, to his credit, tactfully
points out the inconsistent
undertone in her offer to help

so why, oh why, does she want
to connect with him? to keep chasing
after what she really doesn't want?

as if a childlike self eggs her on
insisting that his luck and charm will
rub off on her like fairy dust, if
she can get up close enough
and (oh so) personal


[free verse dream poem on a dream of 6-26-13. OK, after that lengthy comment in my previous post on the rarity of choosing the free verse form to write about my dreams in, here's another free verse dream poem. And I suspect the one I have now from last night on the back burner may also turn out to be in free verse form. As I was working on the one above last night I was enjoying the challenge and therein may lie the real reason I'm into free verse right now. Boredom. I've gotten all too accustomed to whipping out dreams in the dreamku style (and the related and combined forms thereof). Lazy almost. That is, I think that childlike self referenced above is also egging me on to take on more challenges in writing again. (In that childlike conception, there's a yearning for new stuff, thank you very much.) I've been feeling similarly with respect to editing my photos for some time now. I'd thought once I had Photoshop Elements that would change, and it did very briefly. But in just the past few days I've found myself, well, bored with my usual ways of going about editing. Guess I really do need to read that Photoshop book a friend bought me, don't I? Hope that it all doesn't turn out to be just chasing after more fairy dust, both in writing and photo work. I read somewhere that the vague dissatisfaction one may feel -- and this one does -- on finishing a creative effort, contains the seed of the next work. Sigh. Photo "The Mermaid's Lament" by Roswila]

BRIEF INTRODUCTION TO DREAMKU (& PHOTOS): The dream-based poems posted on this blog -- dreamku, tanka, two-liners, and monoku -- are offered in the spirit of collaboration. I have done my part. Now it’s your turn to jump in and see what comes up for you. I.e., there is no right or wrong way to relate to any of these dream offerings. Even my own understandings of them change over time. And it gives me joy when a reader sees something in any of them that I have not.

Also please note that a dreamku is not intended as an interpretation of a dream, or even a complete and accurate rendering of one. A dreamku is my attempt to get down dream imagery/action that grabs me and, as I write about it, elicits my conscious written association and response. Nor do I believe that one has to remember dreams in order for them to do their work. In my understanding, we are much more than our conscious selves.

You may also note in any further reading on dreamku you may do, that in the beginning I stressed "showing, not telling." However, that has been changing for some time now. I now tend to "show" (the dream narrative) and cap if off with a "tell" (some reaction and/or insight I've had to the dream as I was writing about it).

For more in-depth exploration:

-- very brief comparison of dreamku and haiku: DREAMKU ARE NOT HAIKU

-- a brief post about both dreamku and my photos THE AREN'TS OF DREAMKU & ACCOMPANYING DIGITAL PHOTOS.

-- detailed three-part post about dreamku: "A DREAMKU PRIMER: Writing Haiku-Like Poems About Your Night Dreams": PART ONE: Introduction & Writing Dreamku as Dream Work; PART TWO: Elements of the Haiku Form Used in Dreamku; and PART THREE: How to Write Dreamku (the second and third parts have some overlap).

-- a short up-dating post about the three-part "A DREAMKU PRIMER" -- Important Up-date to A DREAMKU PRIMER....".

* * * *
‘til next time, keep dreaming,






If you wish to copy or use any of my writing or poems, please email me for permission (under “View my complete profile”). Roswila's other blogs: ROSWILA’S TAROT GALLERY & JOURNAL; ROSWILA’S TAIGA TAROT; and TRYING TO HOLD A BOX OF LIGHT.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home